Brake and Clutch Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake and Clutch Spring

I just purchased and have ready to install a new brake return spring and a cluth return spring on my 57 Champion Sedan. Is there an easy way to do this? I know where the cluth spring connect at both ends but I can not get spring to stretch far enough. I do not know where exactly the Brake return connects. When I got the car it was broke and just laid on the fram rail. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks Don

Get some %$#@ quarters...
    Put one end of the spring in a vice.
    Bend it one way and start sliding &%$# quarters in between the coils.
    Do the same on the other side.
    This will stretch the spring so you can hook your end loops on.
    Then start pulling ^%$# quarters out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.
    Maybe someone can post a pic of the other end...
    HTIH
    Jeff[8D]

(edited to satisfy the spelling police)

Originally posted by 57studechampion

I just purchased and have ready to install a new brake return spring and a cluth return spring on my 57 Champion Sedan. Is there an easy way to do this? I know where the cluth spring connect at both ends but I can not get spring to stretch far enough. I do not know where exactly the Brake return connects. When I got the car it was broke and just laid on the fram rail. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks Don
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What is a NICKLES.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
      Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

What is a NICKLES.
        It's a US 5 cent coin (in this case). It can be spelled nickle or nickel.

http://www.aolsvc.merriam-webster.ao...tionary/nickle

Pennies or washers will also work.

(SDC members can read this tip (and more) on page 27 of your latest TW)

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
          Then start pulling nickles out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.
          Or just push the cluch in and they'll fall out.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Be sure to check out my eBay store
          http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME
          for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The CASO in me wants to know .... "What are nickles?" "Where do you get them?" "Do you have to buy them?"

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks Guys I will try this technique.

Comment

Send me twenty dollars to cover shipping and handling and I will ship you enough nickles to install several springs. If you order today I will double the order and include a high performance racing decal for your windows. [8D]

Comment

I have the same problem trying to install the clutch spring, however my car did not have a brake return spring on it and I do not where one would connect.
                  Frustrated Bill

Comment

Good luck on the coin spring stretcher solution. I have tried it many times and not once has it worked for me. Stretching the brake return spring is really a matter of leverage and strength over a seemingly unmovable object. In short it is a bitch.

Comment

For the Spring ends location based on your Model and Year of Stude. the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and Shop Manuals are your Friend!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The brake return spring attaches to the brake pedal 'arm' either in a hole near the pivot point (shaft) or to a little metal tab in the same area. The other end (forward) goes into a hole on the side of the frame, Very easy to install the brake spring if you remove the sheet metal cover (four bolts) that protects the pedals from rain and/or snow. Hook it to the pedal arm first and stretch it forward to reach the hole in the frame. Clutch spring is a whole 'nother story; VERY stiff. I'm in the middle of re-attaching mine after replacing the master cylinder ('62 GT Hawk, but I've also done this on a '53 Commander and a '56 Golden Hawk. Clutch spring has been difficult on all of them.
                        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                        '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Nickels also make great stainless washers at a fraction of the cost...
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I clamp a "S" hook in a vicegrips as tight as I can and pull the spring with it.
                            54 Commander Coupe driver
                            53 Commander Hardtop project
                            SE Washington State

Comment

...OR, use a heavy duty cable tie, fasten it a few clicks, and use that to stretch it. Did that on my Sky Hawk hood springs...

Comment

Working...
                              X