51 Champion temp gage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion temp gage question

Good evening. My 51 Champion is not overheating (finally realized to use a meat thermometer in the neck of the radiator to be sure). I overcame earlier heating/cooling problems: new 180 thermostat, new water pump, new hoses, belt. Reads 165 with the thermometer. Heater core repaired, new defroster core.

I troubleshot the old temp gage, which indicated bad (test light lit on the Ign screw but not the screw for the sending unit, and needle would not rise when I grounded the sending unit wire). Swapped in a branch new gage, which does rise when I ground the wire coming from the sending unit. To rule out the wire from the sending unit to the gage being bad, I ran a jumper wire with alligator clips from the sending unit on the engine to the sending unit post on the back of the gage did not get any reading. Am I nuts, or is the only thing left the sending unit being bad?

Also, how hot should a 6-cyl Champion's defroster get? It obviously has a smaller core than the one in the floor, so maybe it's only supposed to get lukewarm and not really hot?
    Heater gets very, very toasty.

Regards,
    Clarence in Virginia Beach

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sounds good. With the heater working REALLY well, I had almost come to the conclusion that the defroster isn't supposed to get as hot (or else it would have had a bigger heater core of its own).
      Thanks, Brad.

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

Working...
      X