landcruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landcruiser

I just bought a 1950 landcruiser, 4 door with a flathead inline 6. and i just got it running. it is all original inside and out. but it needs to be painted. i was wondering where i could get a parts book? and a manual? and if anyone had any ideal what a car like this is worth?

dwayne jackson

Here's your source for manuals and parts.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Worth? If you want to sell it, not enough. If you want to buy it, too much. Hardtops are highest on the worth scale, then coupes/Starlites, then two door sedans, followed by four door sedans and Land Cruisers.

I recently restored (put back on the road) a '55 Land Cruiser (Studebaker called it a President State Sedan) because I like the large heavy car, but the market for them is limited.

You gotta enjoy the car you drive, not for its value to others, but because you like it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks for the information rockne10 and tom b. i'm sure it will help me get started.

dwayne jackson

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Worth? If you want to sell it, not enough. If you want to buy it, too much. Hardtops are highest on the worth scale, then coupes/Starlites, then two door sedans, followed by four door sedans and Land Cruisers.
          Sorry, gotta differ with ya on that. My opinion, the demand for Land Cruisers is more than the standard 4-doors and/or 2-doors. Reason? Because they cost more, there were fewer sold, therefore fewer still exist, they had more standard stuff and were thot of as being more "regal". Because of that, theoretically, the Land Cruiser might have been better maintained than the others.

The 2/4-doors, even the Commanders, were usually workaday cars--many more sold, less standard stuff.

Of course, any 50+ year old car condition would depend on the owner(s).

Just my opinion.

John

Comment

You will be hard pressed to find any car built for the masses more elegant than the Land Cruisers. Your '5o is about a foot longer in the front than my '51. When the V8 was introduced in '51 the longer front needed for the Big 6 engine was no longer necessary. However, the Land Cruisers were longer than the champions and Commanders. Park one next to a same year Cadillac, and you will wonder why anyone would have rather had the ordinary old Caddy.

My wife and I drove this one to our traditional thanksgiving family reunion last week. About 170 miles of a very pleasant ride.
            [img][/img]
            Standing with the car is my favorite daughter.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I agree with everything said about Land Cruisers, I had a '50 as my first Studebaker in '55. I loved it, hated to part with it when it died. Having said that, most folks want an Avanti, or a Starliner, or a Speedster, not a Grandpa car. They just don't know any better.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Johnnie you sly dog you! Turns out you have more than the oft mentioned Champion and '54 Truck, a nice '51 Land Cruiser! And...is that a White '59 or '60 Lark 4 Dr. lurking in the backgound in the reflection?

Good for you, looks like you may have other family members driving around in these old orphaned relics! [:0]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

NADA shows no difference in value of Commander 4-door versus Land Cruiser. What do they know? I would prefer the Land Cruiser.

PRICING 1950 Land Cruiser

Original MSRP: $2,187
                  Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
                  Base Price $5,525 $11,200 $18,500
                  Options
                  Overdrive Transmission 10% 10% 10%
                  TOTAL PRICE $6,078 $12,320 $20,350

Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Frankly, if I had my choice, I'd prefer the '50 dash in the '51 LC. The '51 is kinda drab, in my opinion, while the '50 looks very...ah, fifties-ish. I think the parking brake would not work, however. And the steering column is different.

I have a '52 LC and that dash is VERRRY chromy. I think the designer had a kitchen fetish. The instrument dials look like giant cookie cutters and the radio grille, like a waffle iron. Tho I've seen a couple of '52 dashes in '51s.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X