Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

compareing early and late water manifolds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compareing early and late water manifolds.

I realise early V8 manifolds use 5/8" and late use 3/4" for heater hose.is there really a big enough difference between them to worry about what one to use as far as flow? I plan to use a early one on my 63 289 reason is "CASO" I figure it worked back in the day,even on G.H. so why not for this engine? "ADVISE ADVISE"

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Depends on how early. Pre 56 will not clear the fuel pump boss on the timing cover.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Depends on how early. Pre 56 will not clear the fuel pump boss on the timing cover.

JDP/Maryland
      I think that the 55 models will because they had the fuel pump on the timing cover.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks John,this one is for 57 G.H so good to go. but what do you think about coolant flow,not a biggie?

Joseph R. Zeiger
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I would suggest that either will give good flow. The key is to make sure that corrosion and crud has not built up in the steel fittings causing them to nearly close up. I just removed heater hoses on a 55 and the crud and rust in the pipe had closed it up to less than a quarter inch diameter. The rest of the cast parts looked good but the steel pipe was growing like coral in the ocean.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Doesn't the four-hole thermostat cover on the earlier water manifolds use a smaller diameter radiator hose than a '63?

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Ya John this one has been blasted and like new in and out.

Joseph R. Zeiger
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Paul, they do use a smaller hose on the early goose necks.but this is what I found,I bolted a 63 neck to it,scribed a line around and I feel there is enough surface for a good gasket seal.it just will look a little odd with the two ears showing!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

Ya John this one has been blasted and like new in and out.
                  You are not getting what Paul is saying Joe! The Radiator hose, Thermostat Housing, Gasket, Thermostat, Heater Core, and Heater Valve will not FIT! [:0]

There is a reason they went away from those tiny 5/8" hoses! [xx(]

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,(when I first thought of doing this I did'nt realise the thermostat was a different size,now I do,learn something new every day) NOW go back and read Pauls reply,he is talking about a SMALLER radiator HOSE and nothing more,I did understand what he said! what does the heater core and heater valve have to do with what I had in mind,it's not hard to adapt from 5/8" to 3/4".

Joseph R. Zeiger
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

what does the heater core and heater valve have to do with what I had in mind,it's not hard to adapt from 5/8" to 3/4".
                      Well I guess it depends on how well you want it to work, and how
                      Jerry-rigged you are willing to have it look. [:0]

Anything can be MADE to work, I just happen to prefer most of my classic cars to work as designed, and look like they did when new.

As always, YOUR money and YOUR car!

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Initially I thought we were only talking about water flow through the heater core. If later water manifolds are designed to facilitate greater overall water flow through out the entire cooling system...I would always want the larger flow capacity. I have always assumed that the manifolds were about equal as to pumping and flow capacity. As to the heaters...I have never seen one yet that wouldn't put out enough heat to run you out of the car if operating properly and the valve opened all the way.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

StudeRich, I thought WE just determind it WO'NT work WELL,the THERMOSTAT is not the same size! so which of your classics do'nt need to be functionally correct?

Joseph R. Zeiger
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well I didn't mean it does not need to function well, but it's a '54 Starliner street/strip car, with a built 298 c.i. engine with 13 to 1 Comp. that would not be original, that's all.

StudeRich
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Joe, from what I read you are planning to put a cast iron water manifold from a GH with the 4 hole pattern for the water input on your later engine that used the 2 hole pattern right? it will work as long as you use the right housing for the manifold with 4 holes I would be surprised if the oblong 2 hole housing will cover enough of the area to seal right. the reason you are using this type is because of CASO? did some one pay you to take it? there is so many of these around for almost nothing why not use the right one? the only hard one to come by is the ones used on the early trucks, good luck with what ever you do...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                              canbstudebakers-
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X