YouTube and Repair Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube and Repair Procedures

Man-o-man... The Internet is an amazing resource.

My youngest daughter brought her 2006 Mustang over for the holidays.
    She said it had a grinding noise from the rear brakes.
    Sure enough, the one pad had ground down and it was eating the rotor.
    So... Off we go to get a rotor and a set of pads.
    The rotor was real 'iffy' and if it cleaned up it would have been right at max spec.
    Went to put the piston back in and it has the parking brake built in.
    Didn't see a clear way to get the piston in, so I took a break and hit the 'puter...
    Put one Google querie in that referred to a YouTube link.
    So I put the same querie in at YouTube.
    This is what I came up with...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpeKWzdnfkQ
    Quick, concise, and showed me what I needed to know..
    Especially which way to turn the pistons.
    Superb!
    Except for the special tool.
    But...
    A rarely used 1&1/4" 1/2 drive socket donated it's all to the grinder, and in 4 minutes a tool had been made to screw the caliper piston back in.
    Job is all done and the daughter is happy, the wife is happy, and I am back out prepping for Daytona for an 0:dark:0 departure Friday morning...
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Love those handy videos! Wish I'd had YouTube in the late 80s when I was trying to replace wife's Subaru disc pads. Of course, a Haynes manual might have helped. Little did I know the pistons screw in on them, too.
    BTW, those Mustang wheels are among the coolest factory wheels on a car, in my subjective op.

Comment

While back the odometer light on my Saturn went out. Got a clue to look on google and found a video on removing the dash. Took six minutes on the video, took me about half an hour. How amazing!! Took a bulb from an option that I don't have and put it in the odometer socket and was done in less than 2 hours.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

It's truly amazing how much information is available. Years ago I had to run to the library and hope they had a manual that would help.

Now-a-days I just take the laptop out to the pole barn or hit the big computer upstairs, ask Google the question and fix the problem.

The secret is to learn how to ask the question properly to find the required results.

AHH!! Technology it can be a very good thing.[^][^]

Bob

Comment

please don't hang the calipers form the brake hose. use a bent up coat hanger or something not a good idea to just hang on the hose.

Comment

I used a bungee cord, but had a heck of a time finding a hooking spot on the blow molded plastic wheelwell...
            Just laid it on the top of the axle most of the time.
            But that is a good point.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bob1944

please don't hang the calipers form the brake hose. use a bent up coat hanger or something not a good idea to just hang on the hose.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It wasn't You Tube, but we found similar how-to videos about our specific shower valve body assembly when refurbishing our bathroom. The diagrams enclosed with the directions were sketchy, but the video was great. Found lots more on specific plumbing jobs and such. I did a Google search for what I wanted and was pleased with the results.

Clarence

Comment

Working...
              X