instuments lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instuments lights

My instrument light switch toggles back and forth. Does one direction do something different than the other way? Have not managed to get them to come on yet.

In '53 and '54, the inst light toggles were on high in one position, off in the middle and low in the other. Low is so dim that you can't see them if there is oncoming traffic.

[Edit] Thanks, Nate, I forgot to mention you gotta have the headlights on.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Mine is a 62 hawk. Will have to find out why I am not gettign power.
      quote:Originally posted by Tom B

In '53 and '54, the inst light toggles were on high in one position, off in the middle and low in the other. Low is so dim that you can't see them if there is oncoming traffic.

[Edit] Thanks, Nate, I forgot to mention you gotta have the headlights on.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

All GT Hawks used the three position switch - up for bright, center off and down for low, which is so dim as to be useless. Check the fuse and make sure it's good. The switch can get funky over the years - try squirting some contact cleaner into the inside. Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
          George C. Scott as "Patton"
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

The switch in my '63 Hawk is funky. I have to put it part way inbetween the off/on positions to get it to work.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
            MN iron ore...it does your body good.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's a pretty simple job to take the switch out, bend the tabs on the back to take it apart. Clean out the old hard grease and put a little new in and in my experience they will work for years.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Make sure the intrument is grounded. My 59 Hawk lights were essentially off they were so dim. I installed a ground wire to each instrument and they lit right up.
                good luck
                dell

Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk
                Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk

Comment

Got them going. I do want to see about switching them to LED lights that I saw on here about hooking up the third light.
                  Was also able to hook up lights to the plastic fender spears. Found LED lights at Autozone that were on a strip that was very thin and about 4" long that fit under the spears with a little grinding down of the plastic bottom. Look great in amber.

quote:Originally posted by wdsj

Make sure the intrument is grounded. My 59 Hawk lights were essentially off they were so dim. I installed a ground wire to each instrument and they lit right up.
                  good luck
                  dell

Dell
                  59 Silver Hawk
                  62 GT Hawk

Comment

Which Autozone has amber in stock? Have been looking for amber for while.

Comment

I found them at the one on Hampton and Singelton. Not sure if I bought the last ones or not. The one on Ft Worth Ave is out of amber.
                      quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Which Autozone has amber in stock? Have been looking for amber for while.

Comment

Thanks, I lit mine up a couple of years ago. There was no amber than, so I just used white. It was OK, but that bluish tint wasn't right. Now I can make it look like it oughta....

Comment

Working...
                        X