T10 transmission I.D help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T10 transmission I.D help needed.

I pulled some numbers off my T10 tonight in hopes that someone on here can I.D the application (and hopefully determine if it in fact came out of a Studebaker)

First, a tag on the input shaft states that it has a 2.54 1st gear

The side cover has 6-28-61 stamped on it (date?)

There is also a tag stamped "5" held on by one side cover bolt

Stamped on the case on the same side as the side cover is M201-3 (or "5)

The tailstock has 12-5-61 stamped on it (date again?)

On the other side of the case is stamped T10-1B
    Below that is W.G DIV
    Below that is 0.1

Also stamped on the case is 12-5-61

On the piece surrounding the input shaft is T85C-6D stamped

Any insight would be appreciated!
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

The input shaft collar or bearing retainer that the throwout bearing rides on is 1 1/2" for Stude. They use the same one used for the T85. Ford used an 1 7/16" and GM used 1 3/8".

Comment

While we are on the subject of T-10 transmissions...How much difference (in length)is there between a Stude T-10 and a GM. I know the clutch disc splines are different and the end (where it goes in pilot bushing) is too.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
      (formerly chevpartsman)
      1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
      Lewisville,NC

Comment

Stude pilot is .750" Chev is .643" The Stude shaft is longer than the Chev. But if you use a Chev. trans you can make a longer pilot bearing to fit. The problem is with the throw out bearings. That and the Chev. is longer in the rear up to 57 then in 58 with the one piece driveshaft the tranny is longer. You can put the Chevy trans in but you will have some fabracating to do.

Comment

Alan, I just acquired an AMC Super T-10(from '73 Javelin/AMX?) It has the ford bolt pattern and .750 input shaft. Ever swap one of these into a Studebaker? 10 spline input, 28 spline output.

Comment

.750" is Stude size. Tell me how long is it from the face of the case to the end of the input shaft. The biggest problem will be finding a bellhousing that takes the Ford pattern which is the same as a T85. Mostly used in trucks and some 56-58 Golden Hawks. HD 3 and 3 OD. Other wise it a bolt in.

Comment

Alan, of course, knows well the '56 GH bellhousing will do you no good, as it bolts to a Packard V8. He meant '57-58 GH Studebaker bell housings as well as some misc police and taxi V8s. The Studebaker truck V8 bell housings are considerably different than the passenger car, but can be used in some applications.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Wasn't thinking about the motor only the bolt pattern of the tranny. Getting old[8)]

Comment

Alan, Packard....Don't know the actual length yet, but I remember reading "somewhere" that "someone" had done this. I've already been advised to junk it and buy a "Stude T-10" at York. Problem is I'm in Cali and York is,... well not easily available to me....especially in March!! If the input shaft is longer than a Stude, and the bolt pattern is different than the late passenger V-8's bellhousing, is an adapter plate easier than finding a 57-58 GH or Truck/T-85 bellhousing?

This will be for my R1 motor which becomes surplus as the R3 gets dropped in it's place. I will acquiring a "third" Studebaker for that motor/tranny combo(unknown at this time as to what style) but it will be a street/weekend drag car. I figure it'll need a rebuild(found parts "kit" for $140.)but have never rebuilt a four speed(Doug Nash did my last one decades ago!)

Comment

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that a T10 for an AMX is worth quite a few bucks. You may want to Ebay it.
                    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Do not junk the T-10. anything can be made to work, you just have to throw a little money at it. There are few other trans that are longer than the Stude, snout wise. The problem is when you are looking for something that is rare, people want a lot for them and after you buy one someone will come up to you and say, I would have sold you one for less. Get some measurements off of it and we can go from there.

Comment

Hi, HNCadet,

Before spending much time and money installing a T10, seriously consider a 5-speed. Much the same cost and much superior driving experience.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X