rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end

looking for rear end for my 1952 champion regal starliner,it has 4.56 with overdrive,to high for freeway.looking for4.10 rear end #529022 or rear end#529025 4.09.both 51 and 52 numbers'.open for ideas? told older rear ends fit.does anyone have n.o.s. gears?what about rear end from differt make?also what later model steering box will bolt into my car.studerbakerbox.?also need front chrome betzel for radio.dont need complete radio.

gary grant

Have you driven your Champion in overdrive on the freeway? Mine has the 4.56 gear and I never had any trouble driving 70 mph in overdrive. The only place where you will be lacking with a stock Champion engine is pulling hills. If where you are driving is hilly you don't want a lower(numerically) gear because it will make pulling the hills even harder.
    In any case a 51 or 52 with an automatic would be your best bet for fit and to get the higher gear (lower number).

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

maybe i need to test r.p.m. in overdrive.what are your r.p.m. at 70 mph.?maybe i neneed to check gas pedal and linkage or whether new carpets create apromble

gary grant

Comment

maybe i need to testr. r.p. m. in overdrive, what is your r.p.m. at 70 mph?

gary grant

Comment

My 60 lark, same engine as 52 champ, with a 4.54 rear axle, without overdrive was turning about 3600, with overdrive about 2700 at 70 MPH. I could just barely reach 80 in either gear.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I put a 3.54 (out of an automatic car) behind my '52 Commander w/ OD, I really liked it! I just drove it like a regular 3 spd except on the freeway, really smooth and quiet. You have to be careful and not use OD at lower speeds, you may lug the engine.

Comment

Brucestude

You must live in Kansas or some other such flat place. The 54 came from Montana and had 4.88 and the flathead could get her up to 90 mph in OD with a long run yet in standard range she would pull most any dirt mountain road.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              61 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Brucestude said his car was a Commander. Lots of difference. The Champion needs all the help it can get pulling away from a dead stop especially on hills.
                I don't know what RPM my engine was turning at 70 MPH because I never had a tachometer on it. I just know that it was quiet and ran much cooler at 70 than at 55. After I discovered that fact on a trip to Indianapolis in 1976 I never worried about driving interstates.

Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Brucestude said his car was a Commander. Lots of difference. The Champion needs all the help it can get pulling away from a dead stop especially on hills.
                  I don't know what RPM my engine was turning at 70 MPH because I never had a tachometer on it. I just know that it was quiet and ran much cooler at 70 than at 55. After I discovered that fact on a trip to Indianapolis in 1976 I never worried about driving interstates.

gary grant

Comment

what is your rear end ratio? gary

gary grant

Comment

Working...
                    X