63 Avanti main wiring harness fried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti main wiring harness fried

A few of you have been follow my "refresh" of my recently acquired 63 Avanti R2 over at AACA site. Well, while waiting for my new brake system to arrive from Jim Turner I decided to pull the radio/speaker and send it off to Dan Skidmore in LA for a fix.

While on my back with my feet over the seat back I decided to look around. Found the main electrical bundle to see why a couple of dash lights were out and a couple of wires just laying there. Well, it looks like that at some point in the past they had a hot short and burned up part of the wiring, looks like they put in a patch; and it too hot shorted out, and then they by-passed a couple of wires. However, some of the exposed wires are still hot. Started tracing and cutting back the black tape and found more burned wiring, and other wires completely burn off. This was on the engine side of the firewall, the wiring on the inside of the car looks worse, all fused together. This will not be an easy patch job. To be safe, us and the car, the harness has to be replaced.

I do see that Studebaker Intl has a harness for $450. Does anyone know of any other sources that I should consider. Thanks, John

1963 Avanti R2
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Something to consider if you plan on replacing the entire wiring harness, is buy an 18-circuit universal wiring harness from Summit Racing or Jegs. They each carry Painless Wiring products and at least Summit carries an identical harness in their own name for less. All are much less expensive than a reproduction or NOS Avanti harness.

The downside is you will have to add the appropriate connectors and probably relocate the supplied fuse box. The new fuse box is modern with push-in spade type fuses rather than the old glass fuses. You could actually mount the new fusebox on the cowl shelf in front of the driver position and behind the brake booster...an ideal location for easy access.

The harnesses are color coded but you would still have to record a new schematic for the future to keep with the car.

If you have to run a new wiring harness anyway, this is an option to consider, particularly if you don't care about originality. If originality matters, you can install the fusebox under the dash and tape all exposed wiring so the changes aren't visible. What's behind the dash and under the carpeting, etc., won't matter.

Just a suggestion to consider.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Not as rare an occurrence as it should have been, unfortunately. That heavy-gauge red feed straight to the ammeter is this system's Achilles' heel. Fortunately, my '64 Daytona was sitting in my driveway with me in it, Armor-All-ing the dash, when mine went up in smoke. Scared the snot out of me but could have been so much worse.

I'm with Gunslinger on this one unless you're planning on showing as 400-point stock.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

The painless harnesses work well on a streetrod (been there done that)or modified car. Only problem I see is that on a fiberglass car you need lots of ground wires not present in a painless harness. Not a deal breaker but still problematic. [edited for spelling]
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The Avanti's fiberglass body presents a problem because of the grounding issue. If you're not an expert in wiring cars, I would recommend spending the money on the correct harness. I rewired a friends 63 Avanti years ago and I made my own loom, but it was time consuming. Whichever way you go, install a fusible link wire on the hot lead from the solenoid to the ammeter and from the hot lead on the alternator to the regulator. Bud

Comment

May I suggest Studebakers West in the Bay Area. They supplied me a new harness for my '63 made from factory diagrams, with all the right wire colors and connectors. More expensive than do-it-yourself, but much, much easier as well.

You can read the whole story here, if you like.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard
            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
            www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Check out www.ronfrancis.com

They offer a #GW-34 grounding system.
              "By creating 4 separate systems commoned to just 4 terminals,
              all circuits can be grounded to the engine block at either
              one common point or several points near each other."

They also offer a #GW-55 closed loop ground wire kit,
              #GW-15 grounding terminal strip, #JB-58 ground junction block,
              #MA-1 grounding mouse and a #GC-12 extra protection ground strap.

Their catalog is full of useful tips.

Comment

Wireing is easy. An avanti will never be used as a hauler. I sure an glad that I rewired my 64 and 54. I used lots of 10 gage on both of them. Sure was glad when I was hauling a 12 foot trailer up to th cabin with the 64 and my dimmer switch shorted out. The heavy gage wireing took the load and the circuit breaker tripped so once I had calmed down I just disconned the switch and jumped it witha jumper wire and I had my lights back at least low beam.

If you have the time and you do not go for the judging thing then with a diagram you can wire it yourself and in a gague that will take a hit or two and you can use circuit breakers.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                61 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                63 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                45 Agricat
                67 Triumph T100
                66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

You might contact "grobb284" and see if he has one left over from the
                  project hes doing.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...isplay&id=1305

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have located a NOS harness. Will keep you posted.

1963 Avanti R2
                    John
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    Marshall, VA

Comment

Working...
                    X