1947 Newbie Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Newbie Help

Hello My name is Ryan and I own a 1947 Champion. The engine runs strong but the car only goes about 60 mph. That speed really isn't much good on the cruises my car club take and the car has never been out of the city which I find to be a waste. I have researched and found cathcarts and he looks to do some very good thing with the 6cyl I have.....but it is very very expensive.

My original plan was to keep the car as original I as could outside what had already been done to the car (12 volt, rewire and radio), but with average costs of upgrading the original drive train to run 70 to 75 being north of $10,000.00. I need other ideas to get this car in the road again.

So my very first question to this forum is...."What can I swap into this car?

Has anyone drop SB Chevy's or Ford's into a 47?

How much of the fire wall would have to be cut?

Has anyone put a Mustang II front ends in a 47?

I am sure I will have more questions as the project progresses.

Thaks,
    Ryan Ford

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1022433476

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=786674

Champion horsepower = big $$$$$ but....

Do you have overdrive? Is it working? Overdrive and a reasonably healthy engine should get you going fast enough that the brakes and steering become the big worries. Dual carbs and a split exhaust manifold will get you a few horsepower for not a ton of money.

Dropping a V8 in is commonly done and the firewall should be fine (Champion 6 is MUCH longer than a SBC). Then you have to get a transmission, rear end, possibly new springs, better brakes and suddenly $10,000 is gone anyway.

I do have to admit I am a sucker for keeping things stock though. Keeping my old flathead running I find much more satisfying being able to do 80 on the freeway. Your wants/needs should decide.

Nathan

https://jeepster.vonadatech.com

Comment

V6 Buick is the easiest.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/

Comment

V6 Buick?

Really which one?

What needs to be down are there any write ups or more detailed information?

I am willing to entertain any ideas to get this Car on the road where it belongs.

Comment

4. something. Don't get me wrong you still have to do a bunch of modifications but as far as fit without cutting up the body. But there is every thing in the world available for the Buick V6.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
          http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/

Comment

As Nathan asked, does it have overdrive? If you don't know, someone can ask you a pertinent question to help you discover the answer. If you do have o/d, ask how to use it before attempting to do so on your own.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sorry about the OD.

As Far as I know it does have and an Over Drive. It also has something called a Hill Locker. Neither of which work or work as they are described in the owners manual.

I was thinking of going the S-10 5 speed route.

Comment

Your car, equipped with an overdrive was never intended to go highway speeds without the overdrive. It's like you never shifted out of second gear.

Someone more familiar with the early post war cars will have to walk him thru the OD. I'm not sure where the handle is.

Repairing/replacing your transmission will cost less than $1,000, and you will have a nice running car. No drag racing, not enough power for that, but otherwise it will keep up with traffic.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                ....On the road, again....
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Get a knowledgeable local Studebaker fan to walk you through the overdrive and hill holder; they are both very cool features, and both should be made operable if they not. Most of the time, an inoperative overdrive is due to fairly simple (and cheaply fixed) external electrical and mechanical items. If it does have major internal problems, new parts can be costly, but there are a ton of those used transmissions around.

Post your approximate location, and maybe somebody here will offer to help you, or direct you to somebody else who can.

Even if someone gave you a Buick V6 for free, by the time you had it up and running, you be into it for 5 to 10 times the cost of simply making the overdrive work.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Modifications cost $$$$$$, It will be much more affordable to fix what you currently have. The overdrive is a must fix. The car will have a different personality with a functioning OD. However your are still underpowered and under braked for today's traffic and "get the hell out of my way lifestyle" most of us live. First off ask yourself what do you intend to use the car for. If it is for leisure driving fix the overdrive and enjoy. Hop-up the champion motor a little at a time as you can afford it and keeping it drivable while you can still enjoy it. If your wanting something to drive everyday depending on traffic in your area and your lifestyle this car may not fit the bill.
                    Good Luck

quote:Originally posted by nvonada

Champion horsepower = big $$$$$ but....

Do you have overdrive? Is it working? Overdrive and a reasonably healthy engine should get you going fast enough that the brakes and steering become the big worries. Dual carbs and a split exhaust manifold will get you a few horsepower for not a ton of money.

Dropping a V8 in is commonly done and the firewall should be fine (Champion 6 is MUCH longer than a SBC). Then you have to get a transmission, rear end, possibly new springs, better brakes and suddenly $10,000 is gone anyway.

I do have to admit I am a sucker for keeping things stock though. Keeping my old flathead running I find much more satisfying being able to do 80 on the freeway. Your wants/needs should decide.

Nathan

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I live in a little town called Huachuca City AZ. It is about 70 miles south of Tucson AZ. There are a few Studes in town but I think they have all been swapped to SBCs.

Comment

You might check the S.D.C. home page for Chapter contacts. There are a lot of people in the Tucson area that belong to the Southern Arizona Chapter (I think) that could help you a lot.

Comment

Well after all all of your great replies. I am just going to try and get the car running again and see what I can see. I pulled the carb off the car last night, because that is the reason I parked the car. The car leaked right on to the exhaust mani and it freaked me out. Although at times a Studebaker bbbq doesn't sound half bad.

Where is a good place to find a rebuild kit for the carb?

Thanks,
                          Ryan

Comment

Just as others have said, get the overdrive working. A Champion engine won't get you to 70 very quickly, but with an overdrive it will run 70 or a little more all day. I bought my 52 Champion when I was 21 years old intending to build a Chevy powered rod. I tried the stock engine for a while and never made the switch. I would have probably ended up with a disassembled car that would have been junked in those days. Fix the car and drive it stock until your resources improve. You won't be sorry.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                            1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

So I have been trying to get the Stude just running again. I got a rebuild kit and rebuilt the cater we and put it back on the car.

AND GEUSS WHAT!?

Gas stared shooting out from where the metering rod goes into the carb body.

I had no extra parts....

So anyone have any ideas on what I did wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X