Should Stude gas tanks be boiled out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Stude gas tanks be boiled out?

When my brother bought his '66 Cruiser V-8 with 99K miles, it had been sitting awhile and there was lots of rust and sediment in the gas tank. He had the tank removed, rotted out and cleaned. My '66 Commander 6 cyl with 32K original miles seems to have a similar problem now. It has two in-line gas filters; one at the inlet to the carb and the other about a foot from the exit from the tank. The other week the car suddenly wouldn't start after months of running perfectly. My brother discovered trash in the carb was the culprit. The rear filter showed sediment in it and front filter element had become dislodged within the plastic bowl. We believe that what allowed the bits of trash into the carb. The car is running fine again, but the new rear filter is already filling up with trash. There must be a load of crap in that tank. Is it typical for Studes to need their gas tanks to be refurbished after so many years? How difficult is it to remove the tank on a '66 model? I guess I should consider having my Avanti cleaned out too. There's evidence of rust in it along the gas filler spout.... Thanks!

edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Ed

It's typical of any steel container open to the atmosphere to corrode with time. All vented tanks breathe as the air and moisture enter and accumulate. Also a lot of reasons for weak acids to be formed.

Not a Studebaker issue as much as a materials issue.

Looks like time to have the tank redone.

Bob

Comment

IT's typical of ANY old car to have a trash and rust filled tank!

Back in 1976, I was the proud owner of a 1967 Rambler Ambassador 990. Barely nine years old, sometimes at speed the engine would just quit, for no apparent reason. A friend of mine who owned the local Spur gas station explained it was probably rust in the tank, and he was right. AMC cars, in fact as near as I can tell ALL American cars except Studebakers have a metal mesh finger screen on the tank pick-up, which has a much greater area to plug up, although eventually probably will as my Ambassador did. I'm convinced many of the problems here on the forum are the result of rust/crap in the tank. My own GT had to have the tank pulled after sitting unused in my garage for ten years.

Your bros '66 tank is held on with only three bolts, and it's a simple job to remove the tank. The Avanti, not so easy - BUT, Studebaker has thoughtfully provided a fuel drain, on the left side in the fuel line aft of the drivers door. It's a simple NPT plug. I've drained mine when ever I think of it, like every few years or so. Avanti tanks don't seem to have as many issues, perhaps because the location is less prone to condensation/rust, but I'm just guessing. Short version - I drop the tank on any Studebaker I buy, and FYI Jon Myers does the same. Russ Farris
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
      X