61 Hawk Gas Tank Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Hawk Gas Tank Cleaning

I have no idea how long it has been since my car was run. Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to clean the tank. I figure there is probably a lot of crud in there and I would like to clean it out before I put fresh gas in.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Take it to a radiator shop.
    They can do it right for you.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I found a company the striped the tank and it came out like new, had to coat it myself but has stopped rust in the system. I didn't like the radiator shop wanting to cut open the tank and sand blasting the inside, then welding it shut. Most be a company that can dip the tank.

Comment

If the gas in there smells fresh, you might be OK. If it smells bad, it will smell BAD. Stale gas has a uniquely disgusting odor to it. It's not just a little "off", it's clear into the next county!

I just took a stale-gas loaded tank out of a 2R6 truck. It reeked, believe me. And the bottom is covered with a mixture of rust and gooey resin from the decomposed gas. It gradually turns into a sticky varnish-like material, not too dissimilar to gasket shellac, except it's even harder to wash off.

The easy answer is the radiator shop, as Jeff suggested, but if you are a CASO, or a glutton for punishment, try this: dump out the remaining liquid gasoline, and use it for (politically incorrect, but very effective) weed killer. Set the tank level on 2 or 3 concrete blocks, and fill it 3/4 full with warm water. Have the outlet plugged, and the sending unit removed. Dump in 2 cans of Gillette's Lye. Wear rubber gloves, and use eye protection, because the dissolving lye evolves a lot of heat, and can actually cause the water to instantly boil and spatter hot lye solution onto you! I CAN'T STRESS THIS TOO STRONGLY! HOT LYE SOLUTION CAN BLIND YOU IF IT GETS IN YOUR EYES, AND IT CAN TAKE THE HIDE OFF YOU. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL. The tank will get very hot for a while. To keep it hot, you can fire up a camp stove and slide it under the tank, and let it stew for at least a couple of hours. That should clean the tank down to bare metal. If there are any potential pinholes, it will find them, too.

Now you are faced with the problem of disposing of 10 or 12 gallons of dirty caustic water. I live on an acreage, and have plenty of deserving thistles to "water", but if you live in a city, disposal of that stuff is not that easy to do, legally.

I did the tank in my Weasel this way about 10 years ago, and it's still fine, now, and that tank was NASTY. I'll probably get around to doing the same to the 2R6 tank, but I had a replacement, so it's not urgent. Hot lye does the trick, but it's a dirty job to do, and to clean up after. The rad shops earn their buck when they do it.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks everybody.

I'll try the radiator shop first, that sounds like the easiest thing to do. If they can't or don't want to do it I will try the Lye. We live on a lot of land as well so disposal is not a problem.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X