Timing 1950 Champion Engine, 169

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing 1950 Champion Engine, 169

I have done a search and have not been able to find an answer to my questions. I also have a shop manual. I am overhauling the engine and everything was out.

The cam gear is timed to the crankshaft correctly. I'm on compression stroke. I have it on the timing mark at UDC 1-6. When I try to time it by the manual, my #1 is in a different position. When I disassembled the engine, I marked everything and when I time it by the old marks, everything comes out right, even my points opening. It might have been a replacement engine and have been timed wrong then. I can't find anything in the manual where #1 should be on the distributor cap, and the distributor cap is not marked. Can anyone tell me where #1 is on the cap? It is an Auto-lite distributor. I bought 2 rotors for the distributor and they both fit very loose on the shaft. They have metal spacers inside the rotor. Is there more than one distributor rotor for this vehicle?

I would rather time it to the original #1 than move wires around to catch it up.

Apparently, when the engine was assembled, the builder did not get the oil pump stub shaft timed correctly. The distributor fits into the drive tang on the oil pump shaft only one way, so if the oil pump is mis-timed, the distributor will not point to the normal #1 position.

It's quite a chore to change the position of the oil pump shaft, IIRC. I'd simply move the wires to the "best fit" for the current position.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
    X