Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

power steering fluid for 1964 289 motor Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering fluid for 1964 289 motor Help!

What color should the fluid be and how full should the canister be. What kinda steering fluid?

<div align="left">My first stude '61 champ in 1987</div id="left"> <center>Shane</center><center>Kennewick, WA</center>

I'm using Dextron three in my '55, its red. Full just short of overflowing.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Dextron III ? I've always just bought a quality brand power steering fluid and used it. Maybe automatic trans fluid and power steering is the same, if so I was unaware of that.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

How does a guy drain the old fluid, I can't seem to find a plug. The fluid is black and 1/4 low in the canister, when I take a right turn some times it makes a loud noise.

<div align="left">My first stude '61 champ in 1987</div id="left"> <center>Shane</center><center>Kennewick, WA</center>

Comment

You can disconnect the return line and drain the pump. Dexron is fine for fluid and I've used power steering fluid also seems to make no difference. You could also use a Mityvac or other suction device also.

BTW, you won't get all the fluid out just draining the pump but most of it. The blackness could be from deteriorating hoses. You also want to note if there's noticeable metal fragments indicating the pump may be starting to go bad.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

Hi Shane, if you do as Ernie suggests and disconnect the return line at the reservoir, put the end of the return line in a gallon jug,
            you can run the engine, and flush the pump and lines, as you pour
            in new fluid. You might want to take off the fan belt before you try this. Also you will find that ATF is cheaper than power steering
            fluid, and might be an acceptable substitute.

Comment

I just use a good quality PS fluid from NAPA.

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Don't know about a champ, but in my Avanti with rebuilt everything, power steering fluid just leaked out. changed to Dexron III and everything is jake. I believe AT fluid type A was originally called for.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X