6 volt start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 volt start

For quite some time now I have read posts about the need to put proper sized battery cables in a 6 volt car. Everyone said that the 6 volt worked fine so long as the contacts were clean and thick 0 gauge or thicker wire was used.

"Naw," I thought. "Too easy," I thought. But, I finally got some 0 gauge wire and changed the battery cables and the grounding strap. Got in the car and turned the key. The battery that I thought was dead because it barely, if at all, turned the engine,now worked great. The engine started right up.

Moral to the story? If you have a 6 volt and haven't changed the battery cables to the proper size, do yourself a favor. It makes all the difference.

Good for you.
    The other moral to the story is to pay attention, as you did, to what has been learned through a lot of experience by some that post on the Forum.
    Related to this, be sure that you have a six volt battery with enough capacity, not the basic 6V sold by some stores. Group 1 batteries come in different power ratings, the same as any other Group (physical size) battery.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rob, you are now a veteran. Congratulations! It pays to listen to guys with experience. One more tip for batteries, always buy a battery with twice the amps as the cubic inch displacement of the engine. Got a 170 ci straight six, get a battery with at least 350 cranking amps.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Along those lines - when I first purchased my 50 Champion, it had one of those round green disconnects on the battery. I was constantly having trouble starting the car. A friend told me to take that off and throw it away. I did and it made all the difference in the world.

Doug

Venice, Florida
        1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

I've had trouble with cranking speed when using a green battery disconnect on 12 volt systems. Those things are made in China out of inferior parts, that's why they are inexpensive. I would never use one on a 6 volt system as the voltage drop across them is excessive. Bud

Comment

Hey Robtc...
            I tried to send you PM and it was returned stating "Cox.net is Blacklisted"
            That's a big network to blacklist. You know what this is all about?

Bob Johnstone
            www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
            55 President State Sedan
            70 Avanti (R3)
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I had a '52 Commander that I tried EVERYTHING to get engine (when hot) to turn over, and I've always had good luck w/6volt electrics. It wasn't until I rebuilt the engine and found old fashinon foil type shims under the main bearings! When hot, evidently it caused enough mechanical resistance to bind things up.[B)]

Comment

Working...
              X