Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

hydroboost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydroboost

Installing a power hydroboost on a 62 hawk. I don't know how this mounts and if I have the correct brackets. Anyone have some good pics of the mounting. Or whre to buy the brackets.

Hydroboost?.... you mean Hydrovac?

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I think you mean a hydrovac? A hydroboost is a type of power braking system typically used on trucks but also on some GM autos over the years.

If that is what you mean it might be a good idea to post a picture of what you have and then we can go from there.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The Hydrovac mounting and lines on GTs are a bit counter-intuitive. The best way is to have another one sitting beside you. Second best is to look at another one, take photos and make notes.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Sorry I did mean hydrovac.
          quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

Hydroboost?.... you mean Hydrovac?

Bob Johnstone
          www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Just be careful to attach the hoses in the right location. If you swap the location the braking system does not work when the vacuum increases. Here's a picture of my hydrovac in my 64 Hawk before I installed my engine .

I wish I had a better picture for you.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
            Oakville, Ontario.
            Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Just my 2 cents, but if you have stock self energizing drum brakes on that '62 I don't think I'd put on a booster. If they are operating properly, they feel just like new car power brakes to me. A booster would make them super sensitive and not much fun.

The booster is pretty much necessary with 63 and up disc brakes. Boosted '62 drum brakes were rather rare. I would guess the hydrovac and other parts are different from the 63 and up.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks like one of the lines leads down from the hose bracket and connects to another object than leads toward the back. The other line just leads to the back. What is that object the line is connected too?
                quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

Just be careful to attach the hoses in the right location. If you swap the location the braking system does not work when the vacuum increases. Here's a picture of my hydrovac in my 64 Hawk before I installed my engine .

I wish I had a better picture for you.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                Oakville, Ontario.
                Hamilton Chapter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dallastx75208

Looks like one of the lines leads down from the hose bracket and connects to another object than leads toward the back. The other line just leads to the back. What is that object the line is connected too?
                  One line IN to the hydrovac from the underfloor master cylinder.

One line OUT of the hydrovac. It runs to a "T" fitting on the frame rail that splits out the front and rear brake lines.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X