AR Torque Thrust D or Torque Thrust II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR Torque Thrust D or Torque Thrust II

Is anyone out there running American Racing chrome Torque Thrust D or Torque Thrust II's 15" x 6" wheels on a Studebaker Avanti? If so I would like to know the model number, etc. as I would like to order some for my Avanti. I will be running Turner front and rear disc brakes on original Stude suspension.

Thanks,

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Hi John,

You sure you can't be persuaded to run some Salt Flat Specials?

I think they're a great fit for the Avanti because they bare a slight resemblance to the old Halibrands and Kidney Beans with that two tone finish between the rim and center.

Here's a link:

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/ht...l.php?id=51955

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

Is anyone out there running American Racing chrome Torque Thrust D or Torque Thrust II's 15" x 6" wheels on a Studebaker Avanti? If so I would like to know the model number, etc. as I would like to order some for my Avanti. I will be running Turner front and rear disc brakes on original Stude suspension.

Thanks,

These on my old Hawk are 15x6, N8 knows the offset.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Salt Flats are neat looking, I have a set on my White 64 Commander post.....16" by 7"....

Comment

I'm running 15 x 6 Salt Flat Specials on my '63 Avanti.
          I was parked next to the Roger Ward Avanti at the AOAI Meet
          in Chicago this year and they are a dead ringer to the kidney
          bean Halibrands on it. Wal-Mart Uniroyal 225/75's on the rear.
          205/70's on the front. (enhances the rake) The 70 series on
          front provide a slightly lower profile than a 75 series would have
          but are not any wider than the 75s I have on the rear.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fstst56
            The 70 series on front provide a slightly lower profile than a 75 series would have but are not any wider than the 75s I have on the rear.
            205 70's are 205 mm wide. 225 75's are 225 mm wide. the 225's are 20 mm or .8" wider.

The sidewall height on the 205 70's is 70% of the width (205 mm) or 144 mm. The sidewall height on the 225 75's is 75% of the width (225 mm) or 169 mm.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think the widths and offsets are listed on AR's web site. For the best fit (to me, "best fit" means "able to stuff the widest tires humanly possible under those fenders" &lt;G&gt I think you want to keep the offset around 3/4" (19mm) or so. Much less and you'll be limited by fender lip interference; much more and you'll be trying to have the tire sidewall and tie rod end occupying the same real estate.

I think that the AR 15x6" Torq-Thrusts actually have less than 3/4" offset, but for reasonable (205 or 215) tire sizes on a C/K that generally isn't a problem.

If you want huge monster tires in the rear, you might want to see if you can get *rear* wheels with more offset, but you probably wouldn't want to do that in the front.

FWIW I think the 3/4" figure that I threw out there is pretty close to the offset of the 5" wide wheels that were used in the mid-50's.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Halibrand makes a similar wheel (Nate, did you buy those from Alan?)

These are polished, but they make with as cast centers also.

http://www.halibrand.com

They offer 3.625 to 4.0 backspacing in the 15 x 6 size.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick Steinkamp, but you're talking over my head.
                  My experience is that actual tire dimensions can vary
                  slightly from brand to brand. I just went to Wal-Mart
                  with my tape measure and picked out two sizes of the same
                  brand that I thought would work. I didn't want a wider tire
                  on the front than the back. I don't mind if the rear tire is
                  wider, sometimes I want it much wider, but not on this application.
                  I've always liked the rake of a Studebaker Avanti and also the
                  narrow rear track and that is waht I was trying to keep/enhance.
                  I really wish I could find the Salt Flat Specials with a stock
                  offset to tuck the rears in just a little more but I think I
                  would have to have something like that special made.
                  Going with 225s on the rear is just about too much.
                  I'd thought about 235s but decided that was pushing it.
                  If I had it to do over I'd probably go with 215s on the rear.
                  Keep in mind I wanted as skinny a tire as I could get.
                  Couldn't find any 78 series tires anymore.

Comment

I think I made it more complicated by trying to make it simpler [:I]

Example 225 75 15

The first number of a tire size (225) is the width of the tread in millimeters.

The second number (75) is the "aspect ratio". It's the sidewall height as a percent of the width. The overall diameter of the tire would be the wheel diameter plus two sidewall heights.

I play with tire size numbers to sort of mock up how different sizes will look/fit on a particular car.

Your method of going to the tire store and measuring is as good or better. I'm just lazier [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The first number is not the width of the tread...it's the cross-section width, or the maximum width sidewall to sidewall. The tread width can vary from make-to-make. One way some manufacturers keep costs down for "promo" tires is to narrow the tread, which saves rubber and manufacturing costs. If you look at a tire maker's economy line and premium line of tires you'll often see the economy line has narrower tread width in the same size tire.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

The first number is not the width of the tread...it's the cross-section width, or the maximum width sidewall to sidewall.
                        Thanks for the correctiion. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Halibrand makes a similar wheel (Nate, did you buy those from Alan?)

These are polished, but they make with as cast centers also.

http://www.halibrand.com

They offer 3.625 to 4.0 backspacing in the 15 x 6 size.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Thanks for suggestions everyone, but I still find this all very confusing.

The replacement Ford NWRA 40273 (no longer made) were 4-1/8" backspace and 9/6" offset (+14mm) and is suppose to be close to original rims. The Magnum 500 rims are 4" backspace and then off the forum I received e-mail from someone running American Racing Torque-Thrust "D" rims that are 3.66' backspace and +4mm offset.

Does anyone know the acceptable range you can safely use? I'll be installing these over 4 wheel disc brakes from Turner. I DO NOT what to run spacers and I what to run 215/70/15 tires.

sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386
                          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

Thanks for suggestions everyone, but I still find this all very confusing.

The replacement Ford NWRA 40273 (no longer made) were 4-1/8" backspace and 9/6" offset (+14mm) and is suppose to be close to original rims. The Magnum 500 rims are 4" backspace and then off the forum I received e-mail from someone running American Racing Torque-Thrust "D" rims that are 3.66' backspace and +4mm offset.

Does anyone know the acceptable range you can safely use? I'll be installing these over 4 wheel disc brakes from Turner. I DO NOT what to run spacers and I what to run 215/70/15 tires.

It is very confusing. Don't feel alone.

I don't think there was ever a Studebaker made with rims over 5", so I don't see how the 40273 rims could be "close to stock".

There are so many combinations and permutations of rim diameter, width, backspacing, offset, ride height, and tire size, that I don't believe that there is a definitive answer to your question...or any other similar question concerning wheels and tires that will fit on a particular Stude. Unlike similar year cars from the big 3, there is not a lot of "wiggle room" on our Studes for wheels/tires. Tires all too easily mess with the fenders in the rear of our Studes and the steering parts AND fenders in the front.

Here's a good description of wheel sizing and a device to determine if specific wheel/tire combinations will fit on your specific car...

http://tunertools.com/articles/Wheel-Fitment.asp

The only other way I know of is trial and error.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick for that very informative link. Loved the wheelrite.
                              Every shop should have one or at least evry club.
                              Brian

Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X