ELECTRIC WIPERS FOR 1950 COMMANDER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELECTRIC WIPERS FOR 1950 COMMANDER

Hi to all...I am thinking about installing electric wipers on my 1950 Commander...any suggestions of what to use and cost ?

Would a set out of a 52 work?
    I have a 52 and it has electric wipers, (I need mine) But it should be just a bolt on application and also should look correct.
    Just a thought.

Dean.

Comment

Hi Dean..thanks for replying to my query...as my Commander has been converted to 12 volts,I am thinking I would need a 12 volt motor from the the 1st or 2nd year that Studebaker went to 12 volts. I am presuming that was in 1956 ?...This way I think I would have a better chance of the wiper setup being the same...what do you think ?..I am open to all opinions....John

Would a set out of a 52 work?
      I have a 52 and it has electric wipers, (I need mine) But it should be just a bolt on application and also should look correct.
      Just a thought.

Dean.
      [/quote]

Comment

I have a 51 land cruiser with electric wipers. I think that the later electrics used a different mount for the motor. Since you have converted to 12 volts, I don't think you should have much trouble except for adapting the bracket. I would think the key would be in getting the motor centered and if you have proper reach arms they should work just fine.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yeah,
          What he said.

I'm new to this and know nothing,
          Except that you are in good hands with guy's like John Clary and many many others like him.

Dean.

Comment

What year did Studebaker go to 12 volt ?

Comment

Studebaker went to a 12 volt system in 1956. By the way, having looked at a '52 and a '53 and a '56 (admittedly the '53 and the '56 were C/K cars), the '52 looks quite different (all have electric wipers). Hope this helps.

Howard
              53 Commander Starliner
              56 Sky Hawk
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Hi....I guess what I really need is to find out which Electric motor is the most compatible with the 1950 Commander windshield wiper linkage setup so that I could hook the electric motor up with the least amount of problems...Ideally I would want a motor that would just hookup to the original wiper linkage....Does anyone have a 50 and a 56 commander body parts catalogue so that the two systems could be compared ? thanks,John

Studebaker went to a 12 volt system in 1956. By the way, having looked at a '52 and a '53 and a '56 (admittedly the '53 and the '56 were C/K cars), the '52 looks quite different (all have electric wipers). Hope this helps.

Howard
                53 Commander Starliner
                56 Sky Hawk
                [/quote]

Comment

For what its worth, 1941/42 Commanders and Presidents (not sure about Champions) came with electric wipers. Perhaps looking under the dash on one of those would help?

Comment

Working...
                  X