Saginaw steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saginaw steering

The Saginaw steering box in my 54 Commander is starting to leak out the seal. how hard is it to replace this thing? as I have never done it or would it be better/Easier to use a heavier grease/oil and minimize it.

Studebaker International has Semi-fluid Steering box Grease. it's part No. 801651. This will lube your steering box and not run out the leaky seal.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks Tom

I will order some

Mark

Comment

Since, IIRC, the Saginaw is the power steering box, which is leaking? Is it PS fluid?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

what I currently have in the gearbox is Valvoline extreme pressure gear oil. It has a visc of 95. It is used in marine/outboard uses.

Mark

Comment

You can make your own semifluid steering box grease, mixing lubriplate mag 1 high temp grease, 50:50 with STP oil treatment. There have been a few formulae mentioned here in the threads, and in TW. I think someone used 25 % 90 wt gear oil, 25% STP, and 25% regular lithium grease, in an attempt to duplicate the old Kendall formula. The problem with ordering it from SI is that it is expensive and overpriced in my opinion, over 20 $ by the time it's shipped, for a single caulk-style tube,less than fully filled, which most definitely was not enough to properly fill my empty ross box, a couple of yrs ago. It was irritating to have to get yet a second , overpriced tube. The Lubriplate is 5 bucks, and STP , like, 3 bucks. And one container of each makes enough to do more than one steering box. Mix well. Use a 60 cc catheter tip syringe to pull it up,(available in any drug store for pennies) and inject into the fill port, no mess. I am curious if anyone knows the volume in oz or cc of the ross boxes.Thanks, m weiss.

ok

Comment

The Saginaw box was designed to use heavy gear oil; the Ross boxes were the ones that *required* the semi-fluid grease. So using any special lube in a Saginaw box is a stopgap to getting it properly repaired.

That said, I have no tips on properly repairing one, and the box in my own car is packed with grease. I've been putting off sending my spare off to be rebuilt for financial reasons...

Just curious, are we talking about a manual Saginaw box or an "offset" style integral power steering box?

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
              X