232- Later FOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232- Later FOM

I have a 61 Lark and the motor smokes. I have access now to a running 232. Can I swap the 232 in where the 259 was and have it work? I am just doin it until funds get better for the 259 rebuild.

So long as the 232 has the short flywheel bolts, for the flexplate, there should be no problems. It should be a bolt-in swap.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Before swapping engines, I would find out why it smokes. Perhaps it only needs something simple like valve stem seals. That repair would be a lot easier than swapping engines. With your proposed engine swap, you will need to address the six volt 12 volt items.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Before swapping engines, I would find out why it smokes. Perhaps it only needs something simple like valve stem seals. That repair would be a lot easier than swapping engines. With your proposed engine swap, you will need to address the six volt 12 volt items.
        Gary L.
        In addition to what Gary informed you of, there is the fact that no stock 232 is going to have a factory matched (centerline dialed in) clutch housing or torque converter housing that would be compatible with the larger flywheel, clutch and Trans. bolt pattern or the Flight-O-Matic Trans. that would be in the '61 Lark VIII.

You will have to dial-in the existing housing using different dowel holes so you can reinstall the original engine later.

We are not saying you can't do this, just that it is a whole lot of work for a temporary setup, you would have to change the flywheel of the 232 to a fine a toothed one, for a 12V Starter, and if Automatic the Converter.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X