Torque converter (Avanti)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter (Avanti)

Looking at rebuiding the powershift in my R2 Avanti and I noticed that the Torque converter has the Suffix FT which are used in FOM's.
    The Torque converer suffix should be a HR for R series motors.
    As the vehicle is under restoration I would like to do the right thing.
    Can the converter be used or does it need to be modified ie increase stall?
    Do I need to buy the proper converter ?
    As it is an earlyish Avanti (1499) would it have come out like that?

The car was orginally designated with a 4.09 rear end so it has a red labled powershift (if that is any help).I suspect a PO changed it out for whatever reason.
    Thanks
    pb

What I was told by one of the big Stude vendors is the torque converters were Avanti specific and the only interchange was with a Checker as far as direct interchange, but the internal valving was different. Just passing on what I was informed.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Don't know if is correct but here's one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STUDE...Q5fAccessories

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob
        I have seen that and talked to the owner.
        Just a bit difficult to post to Australia.
        Looks nothing like a Flightomatic converter.
        Are they that different?
        pb

Comment

Based on my experience with the FT and HR torque converters they "look" the same. The only difference is the HR stamp on the housing and the inner workings of the converter. (higher stall ratio). I would question that Ebay torque converter! I seriously doubt it is even a Studebaker converter (ie. where is the starter gear?)I suppose the seller wants you to weld the gear on the rebuilt converter? I don't think so!

Stick with the Studebaker vendors you can trust to deliver the right goods especially when you live in Australia. I bought my rebuilt HR torque converter from Myers Studebaker. He wants the old HR converter as a core.

Don't make the same mistake I made messing around with a used converter HR stamped or not! The work to remove that transmission and swap the torque converter after the fact is 40 hours on your back and a newly rebuilt transmission.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
          Oakville, Ontario.
          Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the info Allen.
            I will investigate further to see if there is one here before I head to the US.
            pb

Comment

Working...
            X