Flightomatic (1956)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightomatic (1956)

I completely disassembled the transmission. No new parts-just seals. Shifts at 25-28 mph from 1st to 2nd (very rough). 2nd to 3rd seems OK. Downshift at closed throttle is very rough; but is at 5-6 mph.

I have gone through: control valve, pressure modulator, both servos and the governor (as far as I can with the transmission in the car). Nothing I do seems to change the operation. I tried changing the throttle linkage and both band adjustments to no avail.

While I'm at it what is the thickness of the "gauge block" the manual calls for in adjusting the front band?

I'm out of ideas, can anyone help?

A 1956 or early '57 Flight-O-Matic can be converted to 2nd. gear start very easily by moving one spring to the opposite end of the valve. If memory serves it is the second to high shift valve, but you would need the Service Bulletin to get the details right, because I think it takes a different strength spring also.

You will then have much smoother operation. Maybe Ross will chime in here. he actually did the change to low gear start and was not happy with it, so he will or has reversed it again I believe, on his '57 Provincial Wagon.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

IIRC, the gage block is 1/4", and you can use the shank of a quarter-inch drill bit, although a square block is more convenient.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, your 56 is the same as my 57, only with a factory 1st gear start.
        The gauge block is 1/4", and the torque is 10 inch pounds for the front band. My craftsman 9/16 combo wrench is 1/4" thick, so that is what I have used, for the 10 inch pounds I used a 1/4" drive nut driver with oily hand and a light touch because I dont have a wrench that goes that low. Works for me.

To convert your car to 2nd gear start will require a different spring on the 1-2 valve. The 1st gear spring is round, small, and fits on the "back" side of the valve. The 2nd gear spring is cone shaped, and fits on the front of the valve, between the retaining plate and valve end. I have to wonder if the 1st gear start was ever "smooth", leading to the 2nd gear start. I am running a 2nd gear start after several years with 1st gear start, and 2nd gear is smoother. Email me if interested in details, it can be done in car.

My wagon had the same harsh shifting you discribe (with 1st gear start)and adjusting the throttle pressure linkage under the car at the transmission fixed it. Follow the manual for adjusting the linkage top side at the carb, and the little stop screw at rear. Then adjust the rod end / rod under the car, making it longer (screw out) will lessen the pressure and harsh shifts. The rod end has a 3/8" hex nut holding it to the trans arm, the jamb nut on the rod is 7/16 if I recall correctly.
        My car acted just as you discribed, and 2 turns out did the trick.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/11-27-061.jpg[/img=left]
        Ross.
        Riverside, Ca.
        1957 Provincial X2
        1958 Transtar
        sigpic
        Ross.
        Riverside, Ca.
        1957 Provincial X2
        1958 Transtar

Comment

ROSS,THAT IS GOOD INFO.THE THING THAT IS REALLY WRONG IS THE LATE SHIFT(25-28MPH)-NO MATTER WHAT THROTTLE POSOTION.I HAVE A 1960FLIGHTOMATIC THAT I AM GOING TO USE THE CONTROL VALVE,PRESSUREMODULATOR,AND BOTH SERVOS OUT OF.DOES THAT SOUND LIKE IT MAY FIX IT? THANKS.

Comment

I know you said you adjusted the throttle linkage, but what you discribe sure sounds like too much throttle pressure, just like mine acted. Have you adjusted the rod that runs from the bottom of the upright bellcrank thing (next where the gas pedel connects down low on the rear of left head)to the arm on trannsmission? Try unscrewing it 2 turns at a time, and test drive to see if it helps, sure easier than tearing into it again.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/11-27-061.jpg[/img=left]
            Ross.
            Riverside, Ca.
            1957 Provincial X2
            1958 Transtar
            sigpic
            Ross.
            Riverside, Ca.
            1957 Provincial X2
            1958 Transtar

Comment

Thanks for all the advice I got on the transmission problem.Since Ichanged out so many parts I'll never know what fixed it.I think the front band adjustment may have been the culprit.The 1/4 inch setting was a lot different than how I had it set.I thank you and my 1956 Power Hawk thanks you.

Comment

Working...
              X