Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would have rebuilt starter for '63 Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would have rebuilt starter for '63 Avanti?

And how much should I expect to pay? Thanks!

edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

I don't know of anyone who would have a rebuilt starter, but you should be able to get yours rebuilt by a competent shop. Check your yellow pages for one plus there are vendors which support this site and advertise in Turning Wheels and the AOAI magazine...don't forget them. There's one excellent near me that rebuilt the starter, alternator and carburetor on the '63 I used to own, plus the power window motors as well. I believe they do work shipped to them as well. If you want their contact information, just let me know.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have a rebuilt starter. Let me check to make sure it is for an Avanti.
      Allen

Comment

Thanks. It would need to be for an automatic too.

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

I have a rebuilt starter. Let me check to make sure it is for an Avanti.
        Allen
        edp/NC
        '63 Avanti
        '66 Commander
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

ed, actually it doesn't. you can swap the nose from your current starter assuming that they are both Prestolites. Also if you aren't a stickler for authenticity an older Delco automatic starter will also work, isn't nearly as rare as a 4-pole Avanti starter, and has just as much torque. See my web site for starter tag numbers to help you identify used parts. I don't have pics of the different noses but I think Ray Fichthorn has some on his site.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Thanks! That's great info. Delco or Prestolite makes no difference to me.

quote:Originally posted by N8N

ed, actually it doesn't. you can swap the nose from your current starter assuming that they are both Prestolites. Also if you aren't a stickler for authenticity an older Delco automatic starter will also work, isn't nearly as rare as a 4-pole Avanti starter, and has just as much torque. See my web site for starter tag numbers to help you identify used parts. I don't have pics of the different noses but I think Ray Fichthorn has some on his site.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            edp/NC
            '63 Avanti
            '66 Commander
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

Great info, Nate. I'm switching from a 3-speed automatic to a T-5. Any idea where to get a manual transmission nose? I have an AT nose to swap, if desired.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

Oh, and Ed, if you want a rebuilt unit, SI has them for $210 on a core-exchange basis.

Comment

Ed,
                  Did you get my email about the rebuilt one I have for $145?
                  Allen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tluz

Great info, Nate. I'm switching from a 3-speed automatic to a T-5. Any idea where to get a manual transmission nose? I have an AT nose to swap, if desired.

Thanks,

Tom
                    I have the manual noses for $45 to your door. (i don't need the AT nose)

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

If JDP runs out I believe Tom Karkiewicz had some Prestolite manual noses as well. I know that I've bought at least one from him. I would ASSume that he also has automatic ones.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Cool beanz. JDP, how do I get in touch with you offline?

Comment

I also have an auto trans rebuilt starter here...

Barry'd in Studes
                          Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Well, it sorta does... the only Prestolite I would use is the MDY tagged Avanti/JT(S) starter. The "standard" V-8 MDU tagged starters are pretty much the same beast (in fact, every single part will interchange between a MDU and MDY starter except for the shoes and windings) but only have three poles instead of four, and while one will start an R-motor if said motor is in good tune and the carb bowls are full of fuel, it won't be happy about it.

I have a '61 Delco starter spinning my R-1 and it works just fine. Also have a "correct" Prestolite on the shelf to which I did a rattle can rebuild. Delco sounds a little rougher starting the engine but it spins just as fast (probably needs new bushings.)

A Delco starter on a standard compression V-8 spins it over pretty darn fast. I used to be a "gotta have the right part" guy until JDP got a stubby Lark with a V-8 in his driveway (my previous Stude was a '62 Lark, and my '55 originally came with a '63 engine with Prestolite starter) I swear it spun over twice as fast as any of my cars ever did. The Prestolite starter was definitely a downgrade from the earlier Delco, and I'm not sure why Studebaker did it (but I suspect that finances might have had something to do with it.) Anyway I would have no qualms about swapping to an earlier Delco starter in any 62-64 Stude if the stock starter gave any problems at all (but if I'm working on a car that isn't mine, I would probably use the "right" part just in case the owner cared what number was on the tag.)

nate

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

Thanks! That's great info. Delco or Prestolite makes no difference to me.

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            edp/NC
                            '63 Avanti
                            '66 Commander
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight