Avanti II headers ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II headers ???

Ok folks, I admit defeat. Can anyone tell me if there are after market headers that fit my 1983 Avanti II.

I've tried Hooker HPK2001 block hugger headers and Circa 1988 Corvette headers and they are not close. The problem is the steering box and mounting apparatus.

I'm about to go with the OEM cast iron headers which is not all bad but I'd like something that looks a bit more estetic.

W Carroll suggested the Sanderson cast manifolds but I've sent him a couple of emails and no answer. Would they work?

The problem is that there is only about 2 5/8 inches between exhaust port #5 and #7 and the steering.

Help please [?][?]

Bob

I would think that an Avanti II is "Lark like". If that's the case, nothing I tried worked either (in a Lark).

I didn't try these Speedway headers...

...they are nice looking []

I've seen modified block huggers made to fit. I think just the collector needs to be extended down an inch or two.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have Sanderson ceramic coated headers on my '70. They fit with no problems at all. My engine has Vortec heads but that made no difference for the headers. Here's a couple of pics...

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Dick, Those headers almost replicate the OEM headers and I'm sure they'll work. I'll look into them.

Gunslinger, That's a most informative picture of the drivers side of a 70 Avanti II. Newman and Altman must have totally resourced the steering box. I zoomed your's and there is plenty of room for the block hugger headers I have. Mine, not so much . The box and arm only leave about 2 1/2 inches of clearance so I'll need to look at Dick's solution, modifying the 88 Vette Tube headers I have or staying with the OEM's.

Thanks all

Bob

Comment

Be aware that there are two kinds of block hugger headers (tube style) out there..
          One kind has the two center tubes on the outside, and the other has the two center tubes on the inside.
          This can make a huge difference with steering box clearance...
          Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hi Bob,

Didn't get any of your emails as I forgot to update my profile with my new address [:0]

Sorry about that.

I had the Sandersons mocked up on an '96 LT1 I installed in my '63 Avanti. I set the engine back 2", had a Rack & Pinion, and Canton Road Racing oil pan installed with side sumps and there was sufficient clearance.

You can see pictures here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78480179YrsmYt

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78480179yzcVHy

I had swapped them side for side to gain a little extra clearance for the steering U-joints. When I dropped the car off at the muffler shop, we discovered the manifolds weren't completely seated as they were hitting the rear of the motor mount plates. The left and right sides are offset to avoid this clearance issue.

Long story short, I had already mounted the steering joints and left just barely enough clearance to snake 2.5 pipe through with the sides swapped. When we realized they were not seated, we swapped them back and found out there was no longer sufficient clearance to route the pipe.

I was out of time as I was moving to Hawaii, and I didn't really want to tie up their lift, so instead of modifying the motor mounts and redesigning the steering joint mounting points, we just modified and installed some rear dump stock manifolds.

This muffler shop does a lot of Jag/LT1 conversions for a local outfit called Timmons. The manifolds I ended up using are what they typically use to shoehorn LT's into Jags.

Really wish I could have used the Sandersons as they are stepped and have a great look, but I just didn't have the time to make them fit

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

BTW, contact Sanderson directly -I think you'll find they're pretty cool.

I remember at one time they said they would send me some stuff to test fit, and I could send it back if it didn't fit and try something else.

Of course, they are located in the Bay Area and I wasn't too far away so the shipping cost wasn't a big deal for me.

They make good stuff for a reasonable price.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

I saw these today... Tight Tube hedders by Hedman..
                They look like they would be the ticket...

http://www.hedman.com/products/?id=3482&iset=5221&rsku=

www.hedman.com
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff

Thanks for the input.

The problem with all of the headers of this style is that the outside "Y" pipe will not clear the steering gear and mount. There is only about 2" of clearance between the cylinder head and the steering gear and mounting bracket. That's why they used the ram horn manifold.

I have gone back to the original cast iron ram horn's and original "y" pipes. After I get it fired up, I'll spend the time to either modify a set of headers to fit or Take Dick's suggestion on the Tru Ram manifolds.

I'm up to my ears in installation of the engine and tranny (and I could not be happier - even my wife says I'm in a great frame of mind) and I'm shooting for ignition within 10 days.

In fact - If anyone wants a NIB set of Hooker 2001HKR ceramic coated SBC headers with all accessories for $150 plus shipping, Let me know.

I can't wait to build a fire under this thing.

Bob

Comment

Crane sells just the mounting flange so if you are handy and have a wire welder you can make your own headers. That is what I have in pinkie but I made mine so they exit through the fenderwells.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    61 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Deepnhock - thanks for the link! Sweet - same style is available for big block chevy. I've been wondering how I would ever get exhaust on my 52, and these may be just the ticket. Thanks for enlightening me on another option I now have.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

You can get the "RamHorn" Corvette manifolds the early Avantis have.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

You can get the "RamHorn" Corvette manifolds the early Avantis have.

I smoothed a pair like that with an angle grinder for a hot rod. I think it is a great look.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Tom

I think you just solved my problem. I'll pick up a spare set of manifolds and break out the grinder.

I might also check on coatings.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

There is a company that makes reproductions that fit the modern LT1.
                              I have read these are one of the best flowing stock manifolds, certain
                              years will even have the ports needed for smog lines. Our 1969 Avanti
                              has them plugged from the factory (that was fun getting it smogged in
                              California - we had to present a letter to the smog ref from Avanti!)

I hope it works out for you.

Tom
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X