'63 Avanti white walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Avanti white walls

What's the best tire available for my '63 Avanti? My local shop only has Cooper Trendsetters for $65, but I figure there must be something else?

The current tire size most closely matching a 6.70-15 is P195/75R15 which is difficult to find...particularly with a white stripe. Your best bet is to find a P205/75R15 which is still a good fit on a stock Avanti rim. If you go with a 6" wide rim, you can use a P215/70R15 which is essentially the same height. I have the P215/70R15 on the Magnum 500's on my '70.

I like Cooper tires and have them on all but one of my family's cars. The Trendsetter is Cooper's oe replacement grade tire. Their Lifeliner Touring tire is an excellent top grade tire, but you would need to get a P215/70R15 in that tire for a white sidewall. You can check with Pep Boys...Cooper makes many of their tires for them.

There are lots of good brand tires out there...check others. You can do some research for what's available on Tire Rack's website. I like Cooper for several reasons...quality, US owned and made, and the locally owner Cooper dealer is great to deal with and has great prices and service...but look at other brands as well. I used to sell tires years ago...even the best tire is barely good enough in my mind.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Check with Bob Palma. I did, took his advise and put on a set of Firestone radials. The w/wall size is close. Used my original '63 wheels. Still have the original in the trunk.

Richard

Comment

I have had good luck with the new bias ply tires from Coker.I have a variety of cars and use them regularly with no problems so far.My 63 Avanti R-3 4 speed has a set of 6.70 Firestone^s with aprox 2500 miles on them.I like the look and feel of driving it and get lots of compliments on them.The downside is the cost, oh well good luck on your choice.Ed

Comment

I have had good luck with the new bias ply tires from Coker.I have a variety of cars and use them regularly with no problems so far.My 63 Avanti R-3 4 speed has a set of 6.70 Firestone^s with aprox 2500 miles on them.I like the look and feel of driving it and get lots of compliments on them.The downside is the cost, oh well good luck on your choice.Ed

Comment

Hello, "Retired". What model of Firestone radial did you wind up putting on your Avanti? Thanks. John

Comment

John,

Size: P205/75R15 Firestone FR 440 Luxury, All Season Passenger Radial.

Much improved ride.

Good Luck.

Richard

Comment

John, Firestone FR440, Luxury, All Season Passenger Radial. P205/75R15. 60,00 Mile Limited Warranty. S Speed Rated.

Improved ride.

Richard

Comment

Where can these elusive tires be purchased. P205/75R15 Firestone FR 440 are a discontinued model. I was going to put the Coopers on but these Firestones sound a lot better.

Comment

ON my 63 Avanti i have P205/75R15 classic WW from Coker they have a 1 inch WW
                    They are mounted on Coker Magmun 500 rims,havent had a problems with them.

Lenny
                    Atlanta Ga.

Comment

looks like what they are offering in a P205/75R15 is a Firestone FR380 now. both on the Firestone site and at places like Town Fair Tire. and Walmart has that size in a Goodyear. but I guess you will have to go look at them to determine WW width. personally I think black walls look better on a Avanti

1957 Golden Hawk
                      "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
                      sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                      X