Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badger
    replied
    If I would have read the instuctions (Doh!)......"The 762-J Sending Switch fits only 8 cylinder Auto-Lite Distributors found on the following passenger cars: Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge (1949-current) models. The 8 cylender Auto-Lite distributors found on these cars must use distributor cap IAR-1003 and distributor rotor IGP-1016B. check catalog #2303 for complete list of applications to make sure the 762-J Sending Switch is the proper one for your car." Nate, I hope that addresses your interest in factoids. Ray, thank you too for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Studeman
    replied
    Without having one here to measure... your sender may fit on a PRESTOLITE distributor from a late Lark or dual-point Hawk. The OEM sender for your '58 is 3 5/8" diameter.

As N8 noted- the harnesses are an easy fabrication... it's coming up with the correct 3-prong connectors that is difficult.

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/Tec...Tachometer.htm

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    if it's autolite it won't work, if you have the stock dist it is a non-window Delco.

The autolite however probably would work on a 56J (Packard engine) so as long as you didn't pay too much for it you should be able to get your money back and find the one for a Delco. Now I don't know what the S-W part number is for that one. You'll also need to source at least the remains of the connecting harness to scavenge the plugs off of. I had a friend that was supposed to look in his junk box and see if he had any of those three-pin connectors (they were also used on some old hi-fi stuff) but I haven't heard from him so I'm guessing he came up dry. You can make the rest of the harness out of 16/3 black oil-resistant extension cord wire (see my web site)

edit: if you can confirm that the unit you have is the same one used on a 56J please let me know so I can add that number to the whole mess of Studebaker parts-related factoids that I seem to obsessively collect.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    started a topic Tach Sending Unit Compatibility

Tach Sending Unit Compatibility

This summer I sold my '58 Silver Hawk and bought a gorgeous '61 Hawk (Automatic) that sports a Stewart Warner Pulse Drive tachometer head. It looks nice, it has the long wire with plub, but it is inoperable as there is no sending unit at the distributor, and no wire harness to connect the two. No sooner did I put my beauty in storage (far away) for winter when I found a NOS Stewart Warner 762-J sending unit. I bought it on the spot in the hope it will compatible with my rig but I am unsure. The original installation instructions in the box says it is for autolite distributors. Any thoughts about compatibility? If it isn't I may have a nice part to sell. But I am hoping it is compatible and that I can go at installation in the spring when I retrieve my Hawk. That brings up another question. Assumming it does fit, any leads on where to find a wire harness? Thanks, I appreciate the wisdom of the Studebaker village.....
Working...
X