Bad vibration at 70-mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by bige

You should be able to replace the bearings without going through the whole set up routine. If you don't feel like doing it take it to a shop that does Jeeps they are very well versed in the DANA 44. However sounds like you have most of it apart already.

Remove the pinion yoke or at least loosen the bolt, pull the axles, remove the inspection cover, take out the carrier but make sure the bearing caps are marked to go back in the same place and orientation as they came out. Remove the yoke and with a soft hammer, or hammer and block of wood on the pinion with the nut on to protect the threads, tap out the pinion gear. The front bearing is not pressed on the back one is. Be mindful of all shims and make sure they go back where they came from. There are shims under the race of the inside bearing and they will get dinged removing the race but that's OK. The pre-load shims should stay on the pinion when you remove it just put them back where they were when you assemble. Torque the nut and the washer to 140-180 ft pounds with the new bearings and races and re-assemble the rest. Easier than it sounds.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.
    Dana44 was quite the prostitute: it was under many a car/truck-------including Isuzu Rodeos/Honda Passports as well as Nissan Titans. []

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

this project may need to go on hold for a while. My daughter just wrecked her car - 2003 Saturn. Unfortunately, she only has collision on her insurance policy. We are awaiting an claim for un-inusured drivers, but that is dragging along. so - my efforts may go to putting a running Saturn together instead of My Stude (sigh).
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64studeavanti

Unfortunately, she only has collision on her insurance policy.
        I take it you mean she only has Liability Insurance, as no Insurance Co. will insure the car for collision, without insuring the driver for Pubic Liability and Property damage first. And if it were covered for collision, they would have repaired it.

Anyway I hope you get her car fixed OK, so you can get back to real cars again!

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich you are correct. I meant only Liability. The guy who hit her had no insurance and expired out of state plates. On top of that he is trying to play the whiplash game, claiming medical injuries. Fortunately, the insurance company seems to be on top of it.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Finally got back to the Avanti today. Gave up my Bucs tickets to my daughter(bad idea - they finally won!) In any case, I can't get the pinion nut off. The book says it's torqued to 150 ft-lbs. Using an old torque wrench - almost broke it and the piece of angle iron I was using to replace the special tool to hold the yoke. Should I try heat? Other news, instead of the 3.73 that came from the factory - according to the build sheet, it has a 3.54. My only concern is that it may not have been set up correctly - so there may be more work involved. At least it's a tt. Napa has a kit that contains the carrier and pinion bearings and pinion seal for around $150.00 (I've been buying so many parts that they gave me a great deal. The kit number is DK28. Another interesting thing is that you can use a rag between the pinion and ring gear to remove the carrier from the housing. Found that tidbit on http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archi.../t-265622.html. Much to my suprise, it really works. Any way, thanks for all the suggestions so far, and I would appreciate any ideas on how to remove the pinion nut.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I have a 1/2" impact wrench from Harbor Freight that puts out about 500 ft-lbs of torque. I've had it for about 15 years.

So far, no pinion nut has resisted it. They go for about $70 and I use it a lot. If you don't want to buy one, rent one. You need a socket the correct size also.

Bob

Comment

I need an excuse to go to Harbor Freight. I'll try to finish it up next week. So far, the work is not out of reach of a good backyard mechanic.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Beware of the kits. My bet is the carrier bearings will not be correct. If you can wait 'til tomorrow I'll get the numbers for the carrier bearings and you can check before you buy.

If you are going to re-set up the rear call me I have some things to make it easier. 201.738.0851 til 11 pm EST

Impact gun is the way to go on the pinion.

ErnieR

Finally got back to the Avanti today. Gave up my Bucs tickets to my daughter(bad idea - they finally won!) In any case, I can't get the pinion nut off. The book says it's torqued to 150 ft-lbs. Using an old torque wrench - almost broke it and the piece of angle iron I was using to replace the special tool to hold the yoke. Should I try heat? Other news, instead of the 3.73 that came from the factory - according to the build sheet, it has a 3.54. My only concern is that it may not have been set up correctly - so there may be more work involved. At least it's a tt. Napa has a kit that contains the carrier and pinion bearings and pinion seal for around $150.00 (I've been buying so many parts that they gave me a great deal. The kit number is DK28. Another interesting thing is that you can use a rag between the pinion and ring gear to remove the carrier from the housing. Found that tidbit on http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archi.../t-265622.html. Much to my suprise, it really works. Any way, thanks for all the suggestions so far, and I would appreciate any ideas on how to remove the pinion nut.

Comment

If you are getting carrier bearings a good number for the bearing is 4T-25577 NTN Race is 25523 Timken

I bought a kit also, 128.00 but the bearing's inside diameter is too big. Races were fine. Pinion bearings are OK too, just the carrier bearing was different.

If you end up with a new gearset you may have to buy a new yoke. All the sets I investigated were fewer splines than the original. Not a big deal $40 or so but this way you are sure to have all the pieces in place when you are ready to re-assemble.

ErnieR

Comment

Just checked the carrier bearings from the kit. They eyeball out ok. the number is SKF 25577 the race is 25523. Don't know about the pinion bearings yet. I'll check this weekend when I have it out. Ernie, I may take you up on your offer. Let me see what I have when I get into it.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Just checked the carrier bearings from the kit. They eyeball out ok. the number is SKF 25577 the race is 25523. Don't know about the pinion bearings yet. I'll check this weekend when I have it out. Ernie, I may take you up on your offer. Let me see what I have when I get into it.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Bearings should be good...I should have gone to NAPA for my 1st set.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
                          X