Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Rechroming Wire Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rechroming Wire Wheels

The wire wheels on our 82 Avanti are starting to show their age. Would it be better to blast and paint them or send them out to be rechromed. Anyone dealt with this before?

thanks
    Steve

We threw ours away, and replaced them with a set of steel disc wheels and Avanti wheel covers.

A friend of mine had Dayton make him a set of new ones. Was definitely not cheap.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I am curious as to how the wire wheels are constructed. Can the spokes be removed? My concern would be the "Faraday Cage" effect during the plating process. It is the same effect you get when painting with electrostatic spray equipment. It is difficult to get the coating to adhere in tight corners and crevices due to the material being attracted to the nearest exposed surface. If the wheels can be "deconstructed" for the plating process, the chances of getting excellent chrome re-plating is better. Re lacing spoke wheels is a pain and an art. Either way, it sounds expensive. Good luck with it.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think that the only correct way to replate them is to completely disassemble them. This makes it a very expensive proposition. Price it out before you make a decision.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For all the grief involved in caring for wire spoke wheels and the likely cost in restoring the properly...I would look into finding a good looking set of replacement wheels and sell the wires. I know wire spoke wheels give a look of elegance, they are a pain to maintain.

Personally, I think the Magnum 500 wheels that were an option are the best looking wheels than most, if not all the options available, for an Avanti.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I really like the look of the wire wheels on the car so I sent an email to this Company for an estimate to restore them.

http://www.hobbycar.com/restoration.html

If the cost of restoration is prohibitive I may have to buy new ones but they would not be original and I would really like to keep the originals on the car if at all possible. The wheels are in really goood condition except for small areas of rust starting to form on them in bare areas.

Thanks for your comments,

Steve

Comment

If you really like the looks of your wire wheels, then it might be worth the cost of having them restored. But it could very well cost more than buying a brand-new (though not identical) set from Dayton.

Be aware that while originality / authenticity is one of the things on which Studebaker Avantis are judged during international meets, it is not a major factor on Avanti IIs, where cars were pretty much built to order.

But otherwise, I agree with Gunslinger -- the Magnum 500s are great-looking wheels and look perfect on an Avanti.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

If you really like the looks of your wire wheels, then it might be worth the cost of having them restored. But it could very well cost more than buying a brand-new (though not identical) set from Dayton.
                Be aware that while originality / authenticity is one of the things on which Studebaker Avantis are judged during international meets, it is not a major factor on Avanti IIs, where cars were pretty much built to order.
                But otherwise, I agree with Gunslinger -- the Magnum 500s are great-looking wheels and look perfect on an Avanti.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Thanks Guys,

I am not familiar with the magnum wheels could one of you post a picture of an avanti with them.

thanks again,

Steve

Comment

I don't have a digital picuture handy, but here's a link to Summit Racing's page. The Magnum 500s are still available, as they were also used on Buick Wildcats and Mustangs in the 60s.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

I don't have a digital picuture handy, but here's a link to Summit Racing's page. The Magnum 500s are still available, as they were also used on Buick Wildcats and Mustangs in the 60s.
                    http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
                    Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Thanks Skip,

I am afraid it is a no go on the mag wheels. this is my wifes car and she does not like the mag wheels at all. I now have two options:

1. Refinish the wheels I have
                    2. Buy a new set and match them as close as I can to the originals.

Is there a specific stock number at dayton that is the recommended replacement wheel for the Avanti?

thanks

Steve

Comment

Depends on how big you want your tires to be, but if you want to use something close to the original size, probably 15x6. BP 5x4.5". I think a backspacing of around 3.5" or 4" should be about right. You should be able to get a more accurate answer on backspacing from the Avanti Club forum or right here by someone smarter than me.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

To my knowledge, Motorspot is a marketing company that farms out all wheel restorations to other vendors - that no wheel restoration is done at their facility. Their address may be no more than a maildrop. They are in the heart of the 714 area code, yet they have a 760 area code number. I once saw them advertise whitewall tires at an attractive price and I wanted to pick them up because I live nearby - they refused, saying that they ship only.

Here is a price sheet from a reputable company that may make your heart skip a beat - and you'll see why just buying new wheels is a legitimate suggestion.
                        http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/labor.asp
                        The price for rechroming of your wheel rim and hub are dependent on condition and how much repair , if any, that is needed before rechroming.

There are other vendors for wire wheel restoration, you should always ask if the wheel restoration is done in house or farmed out. Generally the vendors who do it in house will list higher prices because they tend toward high end jobs. The vendors that farm the work out tend to change sub suppliers of labor and chroming to chase low bids - their work can be more inconsistant in quality.

Only special wheels, such as Borrani or other high dollar classic, make sense for spending big restoration money. http://www.borrani.eu/

Thomas

Comment

Here's what my Avanti looks like with Magnum 500 wheels...

Comment

Wheels, I don't see no stinkin' wheels.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

Here's what my Avanti looks like with Magnum 500 wheels...

Great looking wheels but it appears they are real "Babe Magnets" and I am afraid my wife would not allow them.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X