Avanti Luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Luggage rack

I have seen pictures of some Avantis with a luggage rack installed on the rear decklid. Is the luggage rack the same for the Avanti and Avanti II?

Thanks
    Steve

Not a Stude option strictly Avanti II...later years at that.

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

I remember it as being an option on the 63-54 models, but I only remember seeing one or two cars then with them mounted.

MikeV
      Pompano Beach, FL
      83 Avanti 377I

Comment

I've never seen them in a Studebaker Avanti accesssory brochure, but I may have missed it.
        Anyone know for certain?

My guess if they were on 63-64 in period, they were dealer or customer add ons.
        IIRC, back in the day there were lots of ads on the car magazines for stuff like that.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Luggage racks didn't become an option until sometime in the 1970's. Any Avanti's of earlier vintage that might have one were retrofit...either purchased from Avanti Motors or some universal design from a vendor like JC Whitney.

I always thought the luggage rack, which is of personal taste as far as its appearance on the car, pretty much screwed up the balance of the trunk lid hinges and springs when it was carrying anything, or even empty. It seems that it put undue stress and additional weight on the hold open design of the original springs and hinges. Maybe Avanti Motors installed different strength springs when a luggage rack was specified...just speculation on that.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I had one on my 74 Avanti and its gone, if someone wants one its yours, just looks so out of place , if you need to carry luggage get a wagon.

Joseph Kastellec
            Joseph Kastellec

Comment

quote:Originally posted by G T Joe

I had one on my 74 Avanti and its gone, if someone wants one its yours, just looks so out of place , if you need to carry luggage get a wagon.

Joseph Kastellec
              Your statement really strikes me. I bought a well equipped 1963 Wagonaire from the original owner. The guy had a 1955 Speedster that he purchased new. He wanted to trade the Speedster in on a new Avanti. His wife said no because the trunk was too small and they were starting a family. The guy ordered a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire with 289, AT, ps, pdb, TT, bucket seats, Sta-Bars, step, pwr. rear window and more. I bought the Wagonaire from him and kept it for more tha nine years. I turned it into a woody. I sold it as a package with new quarters, front fenders and rockers. It already had all new chrome and much of the stainless. Mechanically, it was in very good condition. I delivered it to Westchester County, NY. I have not heard about it since. The guy that was the original owner was looking for a Speedster right after I sold mine and a Wagonaire right after I sold mine. Our timing was bad. He had a very nice scrapbook on the 1953 Conmmander Starliner that he bought new and traded in on the Speedster. The scrapbook contained things like the Museum of Modern Art brochure/flyer on the 1953 Starliner. I do not have one of those in my collection. Anyone have a spare?

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by G T Joe

Joseph Kastellec

Comment

To G I Joe: I have a 85 Avanti and am interested in your luggage rack if you still have it. If you can give me a phone # or email address I'd appreciate it. My email is sanssoucim34@hotmail.com.

Thanks Bob Fouts

Comment

Luggage racks were not offered on Studebaker Avantis at any time and are not even shown as an option.. They became an option in 1981 or early 82 on late N&A Avanti II's and were continued into the Blake years and then the early Kelly years. Joe, if your 74 had one or has one, it was added after the fact as it was not an option in 74. Bobf it was an option on your car. I have sold two fully optioned Avantis over the past year both had luggage racks. One was an 83 and the other an 84.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I have a price list for the 1978 Avanti and the luggage rack was offered as an option for $100.00.

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Working...
                      X