Help with my Fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Fuel pump

I rebuilt my pump in august and it was working like a champ no issues.
    I let my car sit for about 3 weeks I went to start it and nothing. I know its most likely fuel issues because I have a clear fuel filter I cant see it pumping gas and its empty. Tank is full enough. I don't see any leaks. I tried a splash of gas in the carb to get it to fire and nothing. I do admit I haven't checked for spark but that hasn't been an issue ever.

Maybe I'm just being an idiot but I'll admit it I'm stumped.

50 commander, big six, pertronics kit.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
    18 years in the tattooing biz
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

You may have a loose hose connection permitting air to enter the line. As for it not firing with a splash of gas in the carb, then you better check for spark. Last time a Stude didnt have spark for me I had to file the contacts of the points to get spark to jump across, then it fired for me.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I recently had a round of goofy no-start problems like that with my F100. You just gotta start with the easy stuff. Easiest place to start for me was to use a can of starting fluid to check of it'll run. If it's got spark, it'll definitely fire on the starting fluid. Sometimes its tough to get raw gas poured down the carb to fire right off.

Then you gotta eliminate the various fuel problem possibilities. Tank, pump, line and carb. I started by running a hose from a gas can with new gas directly to the carb. The can has to by physically higher than the carb for gravity to work in place of the fuel pump here. Get it started with the starting fluid and it should idle like that. If that works, that'll eliminate stuff like a sunk carb float, or a clogged needle and seat. Basically it proves the carb is working properly.

Then reattach the line from your fuel pump to the carb and attach the gas can line to the inlet of the pump, basically eliminating your gas tank from the equation. If it won't run, and you're sure the fuel filter is clean and flowing, the issue is your pump. If it does run, the fuel is getting stuck someplace between your tank and the pump, or you possibly have contaminated fuel in your tank that won't burn.

Basically just narrow it down without throwing any parts at it unnecessarily. It'd be a bummer to replace a pump or blow a bunch of time messing with your pertronix just to find out it's a clogged line. My problem turned out to be just that, a chunk of rust clogged the suction tube in my fuel tank. I blew it out with compressed air, but I guess it's just a matter of time before it gets back in there! I bet for you it's something simple.

Sweet ride by the way!

T.J. Fletcher
      North Atlanta, Ga
      1958 Champion 2-door sedan
      T.J. Fletcher
      North Atlanta, Ga
      1958 Champion 2-door sedan

Comment

I went through and checked the lines from the fuel pump to the carb and made sure they had no leaks in the line did the same thing on the other side of the fuel pump. Then I disconnected the gas line to the pump and ran a hose into a can of gas. I didnt get anything happening at all in the lines. No fuel even made it to the fuel filter I installed between the pump and the carb.

I am going to guess without pulling the pump, the rebuild kit I got didnt have a new style bladder Or some how there is a air leak in the pump itself.

I'm going to get some starting fluid today and try that out for giggles.

Any other Ideas?

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

sigpic
        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
        Shakopee Mn.
        952-445-3281

Comment

Starting fluid is NOT a good idea. The volatility of the gas can cause pieces of carbon to break loose, fly around and maybe get caught in the space between the piston and cylinder wall and ruining your engine..
          Just use gasoline..

Bob Johnstone
          www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I've had the fuel line plug up with rust in some old vehicles. On one I disconnected the fuel line from the pump and I blew compressed air into the line which forced the junk back into the gas tank. However on a different car, I couldnt even blow 120 psi through the line as it was plugged so tight. As for starting stuff that sits a long time, I put a little gas down (sometimes I accidently put a lot in but it hasnt bothered) the carb and it starts.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
            MN iron ore...it does your body good.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I had an old mechanic tell me to use carb cleaner as a starting fluid. He said starting ether is too explosive.

Comment

So I had a chance to look at the Fuel pump all looked great it seemed to be perfect.

The only thing I noticed is the bolts holding it on were a tad loose not enough for play in the pump but still a bit loose. Next I am going to try to blow out the fuel lines to see if I have a clogged line. Only because I saw a few flakes in the fuel pump glass bowl am I thinking I might have an issue with this. I haven't really done more than had the tank flushed out.

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

sigpic
                I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                Shakopee Mn.
                952-445-3281

Comment

Working...
                X