No announcement yet.

Any of you use this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the "opposite" problem -- Pirelli P77's, which were closeouts from Tire Rack, weather-checked badly on the white only. I got new tires (and wheels), but these are fine bad-weather tires, and in no way worn out, so thought I'd save them for some future emergency or tire rationing. Various stuff didn't make the skinny little yellowing-white ministripes look any better, so I found black tractor-tire paint at Miller Tire in Archbold OH and covered the white up. I like them fine. Now that's Really CASO.

Comment

Since your emphasis is on cheapness, I would not be afraid to go with the Hankook tires.

Buying the new Hankook tires with the whitewall you want is a lot better than the cobbler's options mentioned above.

I used to sand tires when I was younger and did not know better.

I know better now.

The price of a good whitewall tire is much less than the cost of paint, bodywork, and a tow when your cobbled whitewalls fail you.

If you like the black-walls you have now, but want Whitewalls and you have an artistic flair and the ability to pay attention to detail you can achieve reasonable results with some of the coating available on ebay or in "rat-rod" magazines.

The results you achieve with paint require weekly or bi-weekly maintenance and the same attention to detail originally required.

I have used the coatings on bicycles with greater success.

I am not a fan of Cocker Tire, but they make good products most of the time.

Comment

Bite the bullet and buy the Rdial fat whites, they will set your car apart from the crowd. BF Goodrich Silvertown Radials. 255 x 15 70's for the rear if you can get them in (do the math on the off set)8" rims. And 215 x 15 70's for the front on 6" or 7" rims. You can buy the rims new thru wheels Vintiques very reasonably in solids ( be sure to know what hubcaps you want to use before you choose wheels)
        Just Go for it! You will be amazed at the increase attention your car will recieve!!!
        Brian

Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I think I'm going to cut the raised white letters off my TA's down to the wide white. I've ground oxidized whitewalls with 80 and proceeded to finer and finer paper until they were slick; just like a paint job.

Comment

My Hankock tire set were 215 60 16 and were junk for bout 100 bucks each. 2 went bad internally and the other 2 didn't wear for chit. I always made sure they were properly balanced and had the proper inflation, and rotation. I suppose it is possible to get good Hankock tires but I won't give them any more of my monet. Oh yeah, made in Korea. I had no idea till after I had them mounted. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hankook=Korean.

The name should have given that away if nothing else.

I have heard stories like yours before, but have never had the same experience.

I have purchased one set of Hankook tires and my wife's car came with a set of them.

The tires I had last approximately 30,000 miles before the tread was low enough to require replacement.

They initially had good grip and reasonable performance.

I would prefer Hankook tires to sanding down a set of old tires.

I would prefer Cocker Tires over Hankook.

I would prefer the Silvertown BF Goodrich tires over Cocker.

This is my opinion based on what I like and influenced by my experience.

Your results may vary.

Comment

I would agree exactly with "1950 Champion RegalDeluxe"
                I mentioned the Hankooks on eBay simply because of their low cost.
                Again, they were called a "fat" whitewall. Looked to be a little
                wider than the 1 1/4" stripes that used to be so common in the '80s.

My brother-in-law has Hankooks on his Dodge Diesel and seems to like
                them. They were much cheaper than anything else. Some tires
                don't wear good because the compound is too soft. When I carried
                mail I had a set of tires put on one fall that were supposed to be
                the next best thing to studs. They were so soft that by the time
                bad weather got here they were already worn out. Perhaps the
                Hankooks that wore prematurely were a performance tire, which would
                be a soft compound. My Mom worked with a girl who bought a new
                GTO (Austrailian) and the tires wore out in no time. Again, a
                soft compound performance tire.

Comment

I would agree exactly with "1950 Champion RegalDeluxe"
                  I mentioned the Hankooks on eBay simply because of their low cost.
                  Again, they were called a "fat" whitewall. Looked to be a little
                  wider than the 1 1/4" stripes that used to be so common in the '80s.

My brother-in-law has Hankooks on his Dodge Diesel and seems to like
                  them. They were much cheaper than anything else. Some tires
                  don't wear good because the compound is too soft. When I carried
                  mail I had a set of tires put on one fall that were supposed to be
                  the next best thing to studs. They were so soft that by the time
                  bad weather got here they were already worn out. Perhaps the
                  Hankooks that wore prematurely were a performance tire, which would
                  be a soft compound. My Mom worked with a girl who bought a new
                  GTO (Austrailian) and the tires wore out in no time. Again, a
                  soft compound performance tire.

Comment

I bought some white whitewall paint from a chap in Iceland.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to play with it.

It looks like a very good flexible paint.

I've seen pictures of Harleys and mercedes with the paint on, and the pictures are impressive.

I was going to try some on my 39, but the tires were old and needed to be replaced.

Paul

Comment

Paul, could you share pics and stuff with me when you do it? Thanks for the input guys. I probley won't go with hankooks when I replace them, not sure what I'll do then.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Perhaps you could look at Diamondback Tires as they vulcanize the white rubber to the tire sidewall. They may not be cheap but it is your life you're talking about. This link explains all, and I will use their tyres (Aussie Spelling) when I restore my car.
                        http://www.classic-usa-cars.com/tire_business.html

John Clements
                        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                        Lockleys South Australia
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Here is a pic of my brothers model a with a firestone destination tire cut down to a whitewall. (only have $420 in all 4 tires, including getting them cut down)

http://www.street-rod-concepts.com/g...orthy%2F01.jpg

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StreetRodConcepts

Here is a pic of my brothers model a with a firestone destination tire cut down to a whitewall. (only have $420 in all 4 tires, including getting them cut down)

http://www.street-rod-concepts.com/g...orthy%2F01.jpg
                            Those look great Lane. Did the tire shop cut the tires down?

Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Firestone didnt, I took them to a place in houston, I think he had a special machine to shave em down....I wasnt allowed in that room lol. But if i remember right it was only $8...yes $8 per tire to cut em down

Comment

Grampa just raised each tire and took a brush full of fence paint to the spinning tire to make his own whitewalls. Results may vary...hell, they WILL vary!

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Hi all,

I'd love to have a set of full width wide whites for my car, but my tires are relativly new, and still good, hardly any noticeable wear on the tread even. And, they are expensive.[V] So, have any of you used this stuff? I've heard of being able to make your own white walls by carefull sanding, as there is a layer of white under the balck on some, but that isn't full width. I've mocked up the FWWW and they look really classy on my car, contrasting really well with the blue.

Thanks!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                                Ron Dame
                                '63 Champ
                                Ron Dame
                                '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                                X