Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you use this stuff?

Hi all,

I'd love to have a set of full width wide whites for my car, but my tires are relativly new, and still good, hardly any noticeable wear on the tread even. And, they are expensive.[V] So, have any of you used this stuff? I've heard of being able to make your own white walls by carefull sanding, as there is a layer of white under the balck on some, but that isn't full width. I've mocked up the FWWW and they look really classy on my car, contrasting really well with the blue.

Thanks!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Or something similer? Yes, I'm a CASO,lol. Don't want to spend hundreds on new tires yet,lol.

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Hi all,

I'd love to have a set of full width wide whites for my car, but my tires are relativly new, and still good, hardly any noticeable wear on the tread even. And, they are expensive.[V] So, have any of you used this stuff? I've heard of being able to make your own white walls by carefull sanding, as there is a layer of white under the balck on some, but that isn't full width. I've mocked up the FWWW and they look really classy on my car, contrasting really well with the blue.

Thanks!

Dylan Wills

Like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcm3rh60p0

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Yep, thats one of the ways. I was thinking doing something like that to remove the lettering and such, and to prep it, then use this paint to the tread molding line, for I have the full width.

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Yep, thats one of the ways. I was thinking doing something like that to remove the lettering and such, and to prep it, then use this paint to the tread molding line, for I have the full width.

Dylan Wills

I've tried it on junk tires and the results ate just fair. The outer edge looks like crap and I'd only use it to make a wide white spare, not on a decent tire for a decent car.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Dylan:
            I have some authentic "port-a-walls" that work really well but not on radial tires. If you have 15" bias ply tires on your car, let me know and we can work something out.

Howard
            53 Commander Starliner
            56 Sky Hawk
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

When whitewalls actually added value to a used car there would be guys that would come and cut the black away to reveal the white. The white portion is not nice and smooth so cleaning is not as effective. On cars that remained on the lot for awhile the white looked dirty all the time from repeated attempts at cleaning as dirt would get rubbed in the grainy surface.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

I agree with JDP and Ernie, when I first put my car on the road, I was like you, maybe an even cheaper CASO, I needed something round and held air and also had tread. My dad had some Goodyear custom polysteels (they were from the early 80's) and the whitwalls were badly stained from age. So I sanded them up with some 80 on the DA, looked good from afar, but with all the scratches they were nearly imposible to keep clean.

Jon Krimm
                1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

I have used Porta-Wall types and have used white tire paint with good results. I have seen cut back tires and would not go that way. With that said, I DO NOT want to see wide whitewalls on your 1961.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Mr.Brown, I got 75 series radials, wich they say work alright on, but it might not be best on mine, thanks anyway. Mr.Wappinger, why do you say you don't want to see wide whites on my car? I thought it looked pretty good in the mockup. I used a white tire cleaning foam, and made the whole tire white, up to the tread. Looked pretty classy in mhop.

Anyhow, thanks all for the input and advice,

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Recently I've seen Hankook tires on eBay with "fat" whitewalls
                      at very reasonable prices, but they were always 13 & 14" sizes.
                      Anyone know anything about these Hankook tires? I think they
                      are made in Korea.

Comment

Hmmm, I'll look into those.

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Hankook is a good quality tire, I wouldn't be afraid of them.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

The white walls we put on my brothers model a are a firestone tire cut down to white walls. Any tire with a white raised lettering can be cut down to a white wall. I found out after I got my firestones cut that Arizona tires are white on the whole side wall (some tires only have about a 2 inch section). I took them to a tire shop in houston and they shaved them for 8 bucks a tire. $420 and I had a set of white walls, and I can go pick them up at a local tire store.

Comment

I put over 100,000 Km on Hankook snow tires. They went forever! I thought Hankooks were just truck tires until I put them on an Integra. They said "not for aggressive driving" but they aggressed just fine, thank you.
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X