No announcement yet.

'63 Avanti electrical problem-ghost in the machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No telling what's been changed. Recall this car has a JT series R1 motor versus the original R2. I may have to call Myers for a new PW switch.

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

Sounds like someone installed an electric choke after the fact. Do you have the correct AFB carburetor? There might be a more recent Federal-Mogul Carter AFB or an Edelbrock carburetor which is a modern clone of the AFB...or someone installed an Edelbrock electric choke to your AFB. After this many years it's difficult to imagine all the changes that could have been done by previous owners.

If you need a new power window switch, Jon Myers carries them. It has a different color plastic lever, but it's easy to swap it with your original part. You could simply use it as-is if you don't mind the non-matching plastic parts.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the tip. We'll check on it.

quote:Originally posted by bige

I had a problem with the ground to the regulator when I first got my car. The bolt was screwed into fiberglass only. I used a nut an bolt and added an additional ground strap to the frame all tucked under the wheel well.

You should be able to isolate your window issues with a continuity tester.

Don't hesitate to use some test leads to bypass the harness. Since Avanti grounds are mainly through the harness a broken wire negates a good connection. Ground the regulator with a test lead just to see, easy enough to do. BTW, Avanti ground wires are white and may throw off a technician used to seeing black as the representative color for a ground wire.

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.
      edp/NC
      '63 Avanti
      '66 Commander
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

BTW, I'll be moving to Dobson, NC sometime next spring. It's about 12 miles south of Mt Airy.

ErnieR

Comment

Ahh... Mayberry country; Mt Airy, Elkin, Pilot Mtn, Siler City. Still a good ways from me, but you'll like it. Say hey to Goober! btw, I was at HT Woody's place in Hickory, NC in 1974 when he towed in a rusted out 64 R1 Convertible from Siler City. Woody never did anything with but leave it on his bank to return to the earth.[xx(] I think Stude only made 12 of those cars.

BTW, I'll be moving to Dobson, NC sometime next spring. It's about 12 miles south of Mt Airy.

ErnieR
          edp/NC
          '63 Avanti
          '66 Commander
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Use a digital volt meter to check all positives and grounds (voltage drop testing).You should not have any with a difference greater than .5 volts. Grounds are usually the problem.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

I think we have exhausted all possibilities of ground trouble. The new battery is fully charged. We'll check the ammeter connections. However, the driver's side power window switch has one terminal that is broken in 1/2. The wire connection must have slid off again, because the driver's side window will no longer operate and the passenger's side will only go down. We're going back into the door. Since the power window relay IS connected to the VR, I wonder if that could be creating the problem??? Another thing, the Avanti Repair manual shows a heat tube type choke, but mine also has an electrical wire running to the choke. What's up with that...? Thanks! [^]

edp/NC
              '63 Avanti
              '66 Commander
              The PO added the electric choke cover, it's a popular upgrade. ,

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks. That answer resolves the choke question. Do you think the driver's side power window switch could be causing the overall electrical problem?

quote:Originally posted by JDP

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

I think we have exhausted all possibilities of ground trouble. The new battery is fully charged. We'll check the ammeter connections. However, the driver's side power window switch has one terminal that is broken in 1/2. The wire connection must have slid off again, because the driver's side window will no longer operate and the passenger's side will only go down. We're going back into the door. Since the power window relay IS connected to the VR, I wonder if that could be creating the problem??? Another thing, the Avanti Repair manual shows a heat tube type choke, but mine also has an electrical wire running to the choke. What's up with that...? Thanks! [^]

edp/NC
                '63 Avanti
                '66 Commander
                The PO added the electric choke cover, it's a popular upgrade. ,

JDP/Maryland
                edp/NC
                '63 Avanti
                '66 Commander
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

I don't think the switch is your problem.

Disconnect the PW relay and the Tach to eliminate the possibility that they are somehow affecting the VR. Ground the VR via a test lead, clip one end to the battery ground and one end to the base and check voltage to the battery while it's running. If it's still 16 volts you have a defective VR. If it is normal, disconnect the test lead. If the voltage jumps up you have a ground issue.

Once you have the charging issue sorted move to the tach and so on.

ErnieR

"Goober says hey!"

Comment

The "new" voltage regulator showed as faulted. Replaced it with another "new" electronic type. The charging system is now working, as is the Tach, and the ammeter is no longer erratic or ticking.
                    Thanks! I still have a problem with the passenger side window. It won't roll up or down and clicks when power is applied.

I don't think the switch is your problem.

Disconnect the PW relay and the Tach to eliminate the possibility that they are somehow affecting the VR. Ground the VR via a test lead, clip one end to the battery ground and one end to the base and check voltage to the battery while it's running. If it's still 16 volts you have a defective VR. If it is normal, disconnect the test lead. If the voltage jumps up you have a ground issue.

Once you have the charging issue sorted move to the tach and so on.

ErnieR

"Goober says hey!"

edp/NC
                    '63 Avanti
                    '66 Commander
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Your power window problem could be one of several things...all are pretty much a PITA to deal with due to limited working room inside the door and you have to work by braille.

The clicking you're hearing is probably the circuit breaker tripping and resetting when applying power.

It could be as simple as the tracks are in need of lubrication and are full of dried out grease. The wiring harness to the switch could be in the way of the window and restricting its movement. The rollers could need lubricating or replacement.

The two worst scenarios are either the lift motor is in need or rebuilding or replacement or the regulator mechanism is damaged...the lift motor is the most likely. They are rebuildable and new reproduction motors are available from Stude vendors.

An aside...check where the circuit breaker is...Studebaker originally installed them in the engine bay where it's extremely vulnerable to heat. The breaker will overheat and no longer operate until it cools off. Studebaker eventually issued a service letter to dealers to relocate them to under the dash. I had that happen to me...100 degree day, high humidity, a/c running and the car began to run too hot...I turned off the a/c and the windows wouldn't go down! I had to either suffer inside or have the engine boil over...some choice. Save yourself the potential future grief and relocate the breaker if it's not already been done...an easy job to do and pays for itself in peace of mind.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I promise I'm not making this stuff up! Today my brother called me and informed that the passenger's side power window just started working like a charm. Up down, up down.... No subsequent work was done to it. There are poltergeists in this nearly 47 year old car. [:0]

edp/NC
                        '63 Avanti
                        '66 Commander
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

I've got an F250 that doeas the same thing. It stops working I take it apart and then it starts working again. I wonder if the motor is stressed somehow by a twist in the regulator or something that. I say lube everything and watch for any jerkiness going up or down.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
                          X