Hawk gas pedal &windshield wiipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk gas pedal &windshield wiipers

Has anyone used any aftermarket cable type gas pedals or retro fit windshield in their Hawk or Lark
    I am interested in replacing mine and there are so many types available
    Anyone found one that they particularly like?

Rick.
    56 SkyHawk

For wipers the stock stuff is still available repro from SI, or if you insist on having 100% correct parts, you can get exact repro blades and refills from corvette vendors. I think I got mine from Corvette Central. blades/refills for a '62 Corvette are exactly the same as those used on a 56-64 Hawk. Not sure if the arms are the same or not.

As those who know me can attest, one of my big pet peeves is seeing a nice car with big chunky aftermarket wiper blades on it. I just want to rip them off and make it right! the old slender stainless ones just look right.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

For wipers the stock stuff is still available repro from SI, or if you insist on having 100% correct parts, you can get exact repro blades and refills from corvette vendors. I think I got mine from Corvette Central. blades/refills for a '62 Corvette are exactly the same as those used on a 56-64 Hawk. Not sure if the arms are the same or not.

As those who know me can attest, one of my big pet peeves is seeing a nice car with big chunky aftermarket wiper blades on it. I just want to rip them off and make it right! the old slender stainless ones just look right.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      Thanks Nate. Spot on. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Do you mean the wiper blades, or the wiper motor and linkage itself?

As far as a different throttle linkage, unless you are replacing the engine with a non Stude engine, the stock linkage is your best bet. It works well.

I've used the GM cable setups on a few Stude's I've installed Chevy motors in. Just shop the bone yards for one with a cable that is approximately the length you need. Take the cable, manifold mounted cable support, and the pedal. You'll have to fill the big hole in the floor where the stock throttle rod came through to the firewall.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by RICKJ

Has anyone used any aftermarket cable type gas pedals or [u]retro fit windshield</u> in their Hawk or Lark
          Retro-fit Windshield? [:0] [:0] Only a correct Studebaker Windshield will fit! They are readily available at Studebaker Vendors, like Champ Glass.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the feedback
            I definately want the wipers blades to be the "stock" look but my motor and linksge is giving troubles and I have heard there are cable drived units available for Hot rod applications that can be hidden under the dash, I tried a marine wiper motot assembly and ther is not enough room under a HAwk dash. The glove box cannot be removed .It is part of the fiberglass dash.

I have never liked the "stock" Studebaker gas pedal linkage. (Sorry about that to all stude purist ) but there is just too many wear points in the assembly and I would like to use a simplier unit. Lokar makes a cable system that looks pretty neat but are around $150
            Before I spend that much I wondered if anyone had used something like this with good results.

I am in the middle of installing a 700R4 transmission and now is a good time to address these issues with the motor and tranny out

Comment

Well Rick, I guess there is NO helping you, if you insist on screwing up the Wipers, the Gas pedal linkage AND the Transmission! [)]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As I suspected before asking , someone would take issue with my altering from stock. Sorry about that, we can't all drive museum pieces. I am glad the Studebaker brothers did not have the same attitude. They would still be making wheelbarrows.

Comment

There was a grin there, I saw it... but seriously, I'm sure if you just want working wipers that someone has a good motor and transmission that they'll sell you, those parts are fairly common. What exact year/body are we talking about here? You say "hawk" so any C-K 53-64 can donate its transmission, now we just need to know if you need a 3 wire or 4 wire motor (we already know it's 12V...)

Repro arms and blades are available as has already been mentioned

I think Ray F. had some success reworking the stock gas pedal bellcrank to rebuild the wear areas. but if you're completely opposed to a bottom hinged gas pedal then your only real choice is junkyarding or street rod stuff.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

RICKJ

My 54K is far from stock with a SBC etc but I used a late 80' Camaro gas petal setup. All you need to do is pull the carb linkage, whether it's Stude or SBC, and this pedal assembly is much like the Lokar but you need to fab the mounting bracket.

Should be only a few bucks at the pick and pull.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by RICKJ

As I suspected before asking , someone would take issue with my altering from stock.
                      There are a lot of custom and modified members here. Unfortunately, some of the purists are quite vocal. Just disregard the non constructive input.

I agree with Nate on the wipers. No need to reinvent the wheel here unless you're looking for a challenge. I think sweetolbob did something pretty nifty with the wipers on his hardtop.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X