Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

re-polarizing generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-polarizing generator

New Cruisers post made me wonder about my situation even though I have read about this a thousand times.

I have a quick disconnect on my battery which I use often. I have never re-polarized my system and it works fine. How come?

You don't know what kind of car I have? Where have you been? It's a 50 Champion 6 volt positive ground, all original.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Well Bob - I have a 12V system on the Transtar and I have disconnected the battery many times while completing various services to the truck - I also have never needed to repolarize the system afterwards - without any ill effects.

I had thought it only applied where you disconnected the charging system and/or replaced the generator?

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

It works fine because the residual charge in the field coils is polarized in the correct orientation. You haven't changed out anything that would require you to do a polarization.

Polarization is done as a precaution on a new part because you don't know what the situation is.

Bob Johnstone
      www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
      55 President State Sedan
      70 Avanti (R3)
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Well, golly gee, thanks Mr. Bob Johnstone. That makes more electronic sense than the remarks about anytime something is simply disconnected.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
        X