Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

More Help with the Chevy motor in a Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Help with the Chevy motor in a Lark

I just tried to install a 283 Chevy in my 1962 Lark. The motor mounts would not line up. The mounts liked about 1-2 inches fitting (the motor would not go down far enough for the mounts to bolt up). The mounts on the motor are Chevy and the ones on the frame are from Studebaber International for a chevy to stude swap. Do I have to cut the oil pan? find another oil pan? or what? I looked at Dicks pictures but could not see the mounts clearly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Randy Jetton
    Randy Jetton

Your description is a little vague. Pictures might help.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I don,t have pictures but let me try again. When I try to align the motor with the mounts the motor sits on the front crossmember and will not go down low enough to allow the mounts to line up. The motor is riding on the crossmember. I need to find some way to either raise the motor or cut the oil pan.

Randy Jetton
      Randy Jetton

Comment

A '62 may be different than my '63.

Here's a few close ups of my '63. Everything kind of dusty here, but you get the idea.

Left (driver's) side...

Right (passenger's) side...

Frame mounts are actual cast iron mounts from a '65-66 V8 Stude.

Engine mounts are 60's Chevy mounts from NAPA. Part #602-1054

Do you have the frame mounts in the right set of holes?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I put a small chev in my 62 lark and I used frame supports from a 65-66 stude engine mounts from a 65 nova and made my own trans crossmember, I did have trouble with the bell crank hitting the front of oil pan so I pulled the bellcrank and reshaped it with a grinder, This after talking to a stude parts supplyer from turnning wheels and he insured me he had the correct part only to recive the same part I already had.

fred

Comment

Dick's setup sure looks my 83 Avanti which I believe has a lark frame.

I think posted pictures are needed.

As far as the oil pan, It looks like the six qt Milidon pan,that came with the engine, will fit mine. Looks the same in front as the stock pan.

Bob

Comment

[img][img][/img][/img]Here are photos of what I did, maby there are other solutions but this is what worked for me quickly and without taking things apart and sourcing more parts that may or may not work.

fred

Comment

I am only speculating but maybe it's a case of having the wrong oil pan. You could measure the frame to engine mounts and make sure they are 16 1/8" apart and that would give you a prety good indication that they are right. I used reproduction mounts from Stude Intl. There are some different thiknesses in pads on the mounts as I found out later but I went to a mount with a thinner pad than what I initially had and still had no clearnace problems with the pan. You don't have the mounts pointing down do you? It seems to me that when I was putting them on I noted that they would fit ethier way. The mounts need to point up and to the center
                like so / \. Very odd, mine went in so easy it was funny.

Comment

Fred

Hopefully here are the measurements you need as my 83 Avanti is field stripped in anticipation of the engine/tranny removal tomorrow.

The forward portion of the pan above the big pin that the arm swings on is 3 1/2" deep and the pin has about 1/2" of clearance.

The portion of the arm that the tie rod ends join has a pan depth of 4 1/2" deep and clearance of 2".

It sure looks like a standard SBC pan. If you don't have those measurements than just buy any aftermarket pan.

If you have the correct pan it's motor mounts. Please post a picture of the mounts if they are the problem and I'll bet you get a fast answer.

Bob

Comment

It may be the pan as it is the pan that came on the crate engine I ordered but the bell crank is thick enough and it was not hitting by more than a 1/8" that the easy soulition was to take what I needed out of the bell crank with my grinder, It wasnt that hard and I had the car up and running quickly without waiting on parts. Note: also the interferance was toward the front by the counter weight of the crank and with that said I am not sure that I could have solved the problem by changing the pan.

fred

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. The picture that Dick sent is exactly what I have. I suspect that my oil pan is the problem. I measured the front of the pan and it measured 41/2 inches. From what you are telling me that is way too deep. I will look for a pan that is not so deep in the front. Any suggestions?

Randy Jetton
                      Randy Jetton

Comment

I think the pan you have is a truck pan. they had more oil in heavy duty applications for better oil cooling. A pan from any car should work. My pan matches the 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 depths.

Comment

Preacher

Any wrecking yard can supply a truck load of the standard pans. Personally, I go to my FLAPS or Summit or Jegs and get a Moroso pan for any conventional SBC. It'll be new, clean and look good. Price are very reasonable for these type of parts. It's the beauty of the SBC. Parts are almost available at the Dollar Stores, that's what makes them cheap. EDIT - Summit has oil pans starting at $22.

Bob

Comment

Recalling some hindsight from my years at GM, the crate engines(pt.# 10067353 I believe) had a van oil pan I believe and was different from others at where it bolted to the block.. I sold alot of these engines that came with a pan that was unlike some of the others if swapped.. Check the pan gasket before going too far..

Ben

Comment

Preacher !! CHECK THAT GASKET BEFORE YOU BUY ANYBODY'S PAN !!

Comment

Working...
                              X