Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Are These 11-Inch Brakes on My 51 Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are These 11-Inch Brakes on My 51 Champion?

My 51 Champion has 9-inch brakes on the rear, with the typical eccentric style adjustment.
    The front ones appear to be the same as my 62 Lark I had 20 years ago. But my memory from a car I had 20 years ago is fuzzy. Is the 11-inches measured inside or outside diameter? According my my measuring tape and how they are measured they may be 11-inch, except not finned.

Any idea what kind of car they came from, if they are not finned? 51 Commander? Special order on the Champion? I need to know, 'cause baby needs a new pair of shoes...

Regards,
    Clarence

Album showing what it looks like:

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/cbonner757/

Someone has upgraded to the 54-66 V8 brakes. We recently did the same to our 51 Champion. MUCH better braking than the originals. [^]

The only place to get shoes is from the Stude vendors, Wagner or nobody else carries them anymore. I bought a new (not relined) set from Chuck Collins just a couple of weeks ago and I have nothing but good to say about 'em.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

If you don't have the equipment to reline them yourself, several Stude vendors will reline them for you. Dave Thiebeault did mine. SI also offers relining on your cores.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Great, thanks, Matthew and Rockne. I wouldn't try relining them myself. But knowing what year and style to order was essential to getting the right parts. Do you have contact info for Chuck Collins? I've dealt with several vendors but am not familiar with him. When I get the front finished, I'll do the rear. Anyone know if the previous forum posts are accurate that 73-78 Cougar, 71-79 Dodge pickup, or 49-71 Ford pickup wheel cylinders interchange for the 7/8' bore wheel cylinders used on the back brakes?

I hope things are going well in Hazlehurst-- I grew up near Conyers but have lived all over the planet since, and am in Virginia Beach now. I'm headed to Conyers the end of the month to visit my dad.

Regards,
        Clarence

Comment

This post has me wondering if it is simply ok to have 11" in front with 9" in rear? or should it be the normal 10"/9" or 11"/10"?

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I am not familiar with 51 Champion brake sizes but the brake drums in Clarence's post are 10". The drums are measured inside diameter.
            So 10" front and 9" rears should be appropriate.
            Putting 11" drums on the front with 9" original rears will shift a greater proportion of the breaking effort to the front.
            If you do it you will have to increase the wheel cylinder size on the rear to put bias back to the rear wheels.
            It is better to stick to the original 10/9 or 11/10 configuration.
            Allan.

Allan Tyler Melbourne Australia

Comment

Is anyone buying 11 inch cores? I have a few that I can get rid of. I dont need them since I have discs on my car.

Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

I wouldn't throw out any 11" brake stuff. Esp. drums that are still turnable, but backing plates are good to have too. Heck, I wouldn't mind an extra set of backing plates to clean up and detail "perfectly" - maybe have them powdercoated in anticipation of my next brake job

The 11" is the nominal inside diameter of the drum, just so you know.

11"/9" is theoretically front biased which is safe, but to get best braking you'd also swap to 10" V-8 rear brakes.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate,I was just not sure if for some reason 11"/9" would be a BAD combo.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have the 11/9 on my 51 and it works fine. We have driven many miles in many conditions with good results.

Comment

Agree with alpayed; those are 10" front brakes, and those shoes MIGHT be available from your local jobber.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

how many do you want Nate??

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                        canbstudebakers-
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, guys. My 51 shop manual says the Champion came with 9/9 and Commander with 11/9, so what kind of car and year would 10-inch drums be, so I can look for parts?

Regards,
                          Clarence

Comment

Working...
                          X