Alternator conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator conversion

I would like to swap out the stock alternator on my 71 Avanti to one that has only 1-wire. My main concern is the wiring aspect. I know that the hot wire will go directly to the battery +, but what happens to the other 3 wires?? 1 wire is grounded and the other 2 are in a plastic plug. Who has the answer???? Thanks for the help. Rudy [8]

62 GT Hawk
    71 Avanti

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Some wiring diagrams in the above pages.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

If you already have a 3 wire, internally regulated Delco, I can't see any reason to go to the 1 wire. You will give up remote voltage sensing, your "idiot" light goes away, and you'll have to rev to about 1500 after start up to get the alternator charging. Plus, when it quits on you, a 3 wire is stocked by every auto parts store. A 1 wire is a specialty hot rod item.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

You can get a GM one-wire at any Auto Zone in the country for $60. plus tax. Walk in and ask for DL7140M. That's a NEW DuraLast alt with a lifetime warranty. I'm sure you can do the same at the competitors store, regardless the name, just have to know the nr. And for what it's worth, I've had all one-wires for the past 5 yrs or so and have never had a problem with them. By the time my auto choke is ready to kick off, the alt has fully re-charged the battery, and I have yet to touch the pedal. As for running it to 1500 RPMs before it begins to charge, the only thing I can figure is they must mean turning the alt, not the engine, at 1500. Just my .02, I could be wrong...................

Jerry

Comment

Working...
        X