Pushrod in R1 seems loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushrod in R1 seems loose

I'm pulling my heads on my '63 GT with R1 to put on the shimbestos head gaskets and take a look at things; I had the valves ground about 30,000 miles ago and it's been running okay, so didn't expect to see anything major. After cleaning things up thoroughly I just put the right-side head back on, and one pushrod seems quite loose, moves up and down by at least 1/4 inch or so. All the rest seem to have much less play if any.

I hadn't noticed that before I took the heads off, but wasn't really looking at things that closely either. Is this perhaps just caused by the thicker head gasket? I'm tightening the bolts at the torque called for in the Studebaker manual.

Any pointers will be very much appreciated!

THANKS!

Gene Nagle
    1963 Hawk R1
    Gene Nagle
    1963 Hawk R1
    1985 Avanti

Anytime you have a head off the valves need to be readjusted.Especially since the head gasket thickness changed.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

ONE push rod....250" IS excessive no matter what you did..or didn't do!
      You sure you're not talking something a little less..?
      You don't have .250" adjustement in the rockers!

I'd be real carefull and recheck things. Like a tip broken/fallen out off a push rod (IF...it is that short).

Mike

Comment

Something isn't right as the difference in thickness between the shim and sandwich head gasket is about thirty thousandths of an inch. You will certainly have to adjust the valves after pulling the head, but I would bet that one of the rods could be bent or have some other problem. Studebaker also used different length pushrods in the V8's depending on the year of the engine. If I remember correctly, the earlier engines used a shorter rod. One of the rods could have been replaced at one time in the past and you weren't aware of that. Bud

Comment

Gene, are you sure you didn't pull a lifter out into the galley when you pulled the pushrods out? Just a thought. BTW, are you the Gene Nagle that lived in Phoenix AZ in 1973? KP

Ken Pyle

Comment

You might want to measure the pushrods. There were two different sizes. The later ones are about a quarter of an inch longer.

Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Starliner62 may have hit the nail on the head here.

It'd be real easy to get a short pushrod mixed in with a bunch of long ones.

It's happened to people before, so double check those lengthds while you have the top end apart.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Did you drop a bolt down in the intake port? Is the valve stuck open?

Comment

I'd go with Ken's assessment, there's no lifter in the hole with the lose push rod.

Comment

Many THANKS to all for the suggestions. I'm betting as well that Ken has hit the valve on the head... I'm going to pull the valley cover for a look as all the push rods seem ok and seem the same length. I hadn't recalled that the lifters can be pulled up and out of their sockets, but now I realize that to be the case. Hope it hasn't gone down into the oil pan, but if so, it will be a chance to clean that out too I guess.

And you are right, Ken, I did live in the Phoenix area in the early 70's and I remember meeting you at that time. I live in the San Diego area now, personal mail is Gene.nagle@gmail.com.

Happy Studebakering to all and hope to see many of you in Phoenix -

Gene Nagle
                    1963 Hawk R1
                    Gene Nagle
                    1963 Hawk R1
                    1985 Avanti

Comment

Must be one of those 1/4" tall lifters...Can't you shine a flashlight down in there and check for the presence of a lifter? But are you sure your valve is closing all the way? How did a short pushrod get mixed up with the ones you took out? Don't be tossing alla the parts on the floor when you take a motor apart...

Comment

Working...
                      X