Weatherproofing cardboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherproofing cardboard

I'm using kick panel cardboard to make a new barrier where the column goes through the firewall and would like to apply something that would repel water. Scotchguard or something like it.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Thompson Waterseal maybe? Of course, anything you put on it is going to keep adhesives from sticking to the cardboard. Maybe a vinyl spray paint will help.

Comment

Best of luck, I have tried, my friendly local upholsterer, told me "good luck". Water always seems to find its way into the cardboard and warps it. I got tired of replacing my kick panels every treee months from getting in with wet shoes, I made the kick panels I have now from the black cardboard which is already water proofed and painted them to match

Jon Krimm
      1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Tom, what vehicle are we discussing?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I cut 2 pieces of metal to to fit top and and bottom. I took 1/8 inch rubber and glued it to the top piece and bottom piece and held it on with gorilla tape. Hasn't leaked yet.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Year ago, Windber Restorations sold sheets of a black "something" impregnated solid cardboard for just that purpose. It was waterproof.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
            55 President State Sedan
            70 Avanti (R3)
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I used some PVC sheeting that I had on hand from our utility room remodeling. Its 1/16" thick, flexible, takes spray paint, waterproof. I might use it for my interior door panels as well. On my kick panels, I used leftover formica from our kitchen counter, it works well it will last as long as the car and it color matches perfectly. Scrap pieces are usually pretty cheap at lumber yards, too.

How's that for CASO restoration?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
              Holdrege NE
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lothar

I used some PVC sheeting that I had on hand from our utility room remodeling. Its 1/16" thick, flexible, takes spray paint, waterproof. I might use it for my interior door panels as well. On my kick panels, I used leftover formica from our kitchen counter, it works well it will last as long as the car and it color matches perfectly. Scrap pieces are usually pretty cheap at lumber yards, too.

How's that for CASO restoration?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                Holdrege NE
                I must say that by your use of formica, you stand a good chance of being entered unto CASO'S "Book of Stude Inovation". I think you may have made the deadline for nominations this year. Remarkable and thanks for posting. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

A shot of Bulldog and SEM paint and that formica could be any color.

Great ideas - thanks! I'm putting the cardboard away.

Comment

I used a product called evercoat. It's definitely waterproof and sticky on one side. I applied roofing tar paper to the engine side and some yellow insulation to the interior side, cut a hole in it and it looked just like the original. I may have got the evercoat from JC Whitney, but I don't remember.

Larry Y
                    North Wales, PA
                    Larry Y
                    North Wales, PA

Comment

I got tired of water leaks warping the kickpanels so earlier this year, I got some sheets of textured ABS plastic from this place:

I used 1/8" thick black "haircell" textured sheet and made new panels

Haven't had the car get wet since but I expect no more warped panels. The stuff was easy to cut and shape with a sabersaw, file, and a drum sander mounted in my drill press.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Go to a garage sale, and pick up some old fiberglass tv trays. cut them to size and you're good to go! paint or cover them with material.

Jim

Comment

I've always painted or soaked the board stock with household clear urethane (gloss or matte) and allow to dry. Be sure to soak the edges. Then glue on the covering. I do this to all board stock wherever it is in the car (Avanti). If you are concerned about wicking from the bottom, leave the board a bit short behind the covering.

Comment

To Jimmijim8 and Jeff H.,

how come ya'll did not use the metal strip that goes along the windlace to hold the kick panels in place? Just wondering.

Comment

quote:how come ya'll did not use the metal strip that goes along the windlace to hold the kick panels in place? Just wondering.
                              Can't answer for Jim, but in my case I do not believe there ever was one. I know the item you mean but never found any in my car when I took it apart. Just the crumbling rotted cardboard. Car was off the road in '61 and showed no evidence of any body/interior repairs other then one rocker panel being replaced before then. I don't know when they started to use those strips later on unless they were removed from my car? Now I will need to check the parts book ...

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X