Disc Brake Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Adapter

Does anyone know if this was made for a 63 Avanti? Or what it is for?
    Allen

Nope,

Comment

Not anything like the brake mounting brackets on an Avanti. Dunno whether a vendor out there has fabbed something.

Comment

They look well made but poorly designed.

Comment

That puts 80's GM brakes on 51-64 Stude passenger cars.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if someone could produce a "bolt on" and "Economic" disc brake upgrade for all these old cars? If a system was available that would allow the use of original rims and wheel covers, ( and affordable ) I would convert everyone of mine!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

And remember that the bearings and rotor needed are different, too.
              This has all been done and scienced out (with a much nicer caliper mount bracket) by Jim Turner already.

http://www.turnerbrake.com/

quote:Originally posted by Alan

That puts 80's GM brakes on 51-64 Stude passenger cars.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Alan,
                Do you know what type of hub and rotor would be used with the adapter?
                Allen

Comment

I have heard that these are great! However, it is my understanding that you have to use different wheels and cannot use the stock wheel covers. Also, they are quite expensive.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd cut to the chase and just call Jim Turner for clarification.
                    Quite expensive is a generic term.
                    To some here that could mean five bucks.
                    Jim is a straight shooter, and will let you know the why as well as the why not.
                    Give him a ring...
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jclary

I have heard that these are great! However, it is my understanding that you have to use different wheels and cannot use the stock wheel covers. Also, they are quite expensive.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Jeff, You are right about Jim being a "Straight Shooter" and I know that expense is a relative term. Like anything else...the realities of producing anything in small quantities mandates higher prices. The problem in coming up with a "universal" conversion kit is unlikely due to all the various geometries involved. Heck...just pull out one of the old general service manuals and look at the various systems used as brake technology evolved from mechanical to hydraulic. There were even "electrical" brakes and some early "enclosed" disc systems. In my humble opinion, most stock systems are safe if properly maintained and adjusted.

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

I'd cut to the chase and just call Jim Turner for clarification.
                      Quite expensive is a generic term.
                      To some here that could mean five bucks.
                      Jim is a straight shooter, and will let you know the why as well as the why not.
                      Give him a ring...
                      Jeff[8D]

John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if someone could produce a "bolt on" and "Economic" disc brake upgrade for all these old cars? If a system was available [u]that would allow the use of original rims</u> and wheel covers, ( and affordable ) I would convert everyone of mine!
                        That simply wont happen, most Studebakers were produced with drum
                        brakes, and the wheels for drum brakes do not give adaquate clearance
                        for a disc brake caliper. Thats why, to go to disc brakes, you will
                        have to buy modern wheels, even if that just means 63-64 Studebaker
                        disc brake wheels. THats just the way it is, sorry.

The system I developed uses common 94-04 Mustang calipers and rotors
                        you can get at any chain auto part store in stock. The rotor at last
                        check was 35 dollars. The setup will fit in a 15" wheel and though I
                        have not confirmed, should take a stock Studebaker full wheel cover.
                        Other than a simple modification to the stock Stude hub, its "bolt on".

The setup also doesnt require disc brake hubs, and even though there
                        are quite a few optional setups that will fit my bracket, the original
                        one that was posted on this forum, and in Avanti Magazine is a simple
                        single piston caliper and an 11" rotor that fits in a 15" wheel. It is
                        doubtful though that I will ever produce them on a scale equal to Jim
                        Turner, but so far my feedback has been quite positive.

EDIT: that looks to be a rear caliper mounting bracket.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Wouldn't it be great if someone could produce a "bolt on" and "Economic" disc brake upgrade for all these old cars? If a system was available [u]that would allow the use of original rims</u> and wheel covers, ( and affordable ) I would convert everyone of mine!
                          That simply wont happen, most Studebakers were produced with drum
                          brakes, and the wheels for drum brakes do not give adaquate clearance
                          for a disc brake caliper. Thats why, to go to disc brakes, you will
                          have to buy modern wheels, even if that just means 63-64 Studebaker
                          disc brake wheels.... THats just the way it is, sorry.
                          Hey...never say never...after they tear down all the remnants of Studebaker in South Bend the new and improved "Nano Technology" super smart brainiacs just might produce the "Nano-micro" brake chip! Just imagine the brake system the size of a pin head that can stop anything! Wow! The "Pin-Head" brake system! Why it might just put the "skids" to a declining economic base![:0]

John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Guys There is a company named Scarebird that makes bolt on adapters brackets ( from drum to disk ) for various other makes and models I have talked to a few people about the conversion on their cars and they seem to be happy with it. I believe Scarebird is a fairly new company ( maybe a few years old ) one of the guys I spoke to had to make a few minor modifications to his , he was installing it on a 1962 mercury comet but the guys at Scarebird helped him out and in the end he was very satisfied with it and the price was reasonable.If I remember right I was reading some information on their website they are always looking to try and expand their line. If someone would like to have an adapter made you might want to contact them Blake

Comment

Here's their link....
                              http://www.scarebird.com/

quote:Originally posted by bison

Guys There is a company named Scarebird that makes bolt on adapters brackets &lt;snip&gt;

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X