engine oil breathing system help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine oil breathing system help

I have a continuing problem with oil leaking where the breather tube attaches to the valley cover in my 1960 289 engine. Is it possible to change the breathing system to one that utilizes the later style rocker covers that have breather caps?

Thanks - Mike

Couple things to look for (that you might have already addressed.

1) The 'road draft tube' that you are referring to has two sealing points at the valley cover.
    The first is the seal between the road draft tube and the cover.
    IIRC, the stock seal is a cork composite gasket ring.
    A lath cut o-ring, or an oversized o-ring could be subsituted if you want.
    The second is the seal between the bolt head and the road draft tube.
    The stock 'seal' used to be a small soft copper ring type seal.
    I found a source that sells a stainless washer with rubber laminated to one side and replace that ring thing with that washer/seal.
    A flat washer with an o-ring should work also.

2) The road draft tube should have a locating tab, or ring/tab to mount the lower end of the tube.
    Make sure that the lower end of the tube is mounted solid or the tube will vibrate and put all that motion into the seal joint up at the valley cover.
    3) The road draft tube should have only a scouring pad type metal mesh in the tube itself (retained by a cotter pin)
    A mud dauber, or clog could cause oil to back up in the tube (doubtfull, but you never know.
    I wouldn't abandon the system....Just seal it up.
    HTIH,
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr Mike

I have a continuing problem with oil leaking where the breather tube attaches to the valley cover in my 1960 289 engine. Is it possible to change the breathing system to one that utilizes the later style rocker covers that have breather caps?
    Thanks - Mike
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've had the same problem in the past. If your engine has an oil filter mounted on the filler pipe, the filtered oil is dumped back into the filler pipe which is also part of the crankcase breather. If for some reason the road draft tube is obstructed, or the piston rings have enough wear to allow excessive blow by you'll get oil coming out of the breather cap when the engine is run hard. You can use a later valve cover with a breather cap, just remove the two center screws and replace them with the proper length bolts and install the later covers and the oil blowing out of the pipe will stop or will be considerably less than before. Bud

Comment

What Jeff said.

Bud musta read your note wrong.

Mike

Comment

One thing to add to what Bud posted here...
          In the later, center front oil fill stand pipe, there is a baffle plate type plug gizmo....
          (Looks like a cup type welch plug with half the cup cut off).
          It is to deflect any slosh that may get tossed up from the valley area, or the filter return fitting.
          Oh, and if you do get breather equipped valve covers, make sure to get the breather caps with them...
          (especially if they are chrome)
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Bud

I've had the same problem in the past. If your engine has an oil filter mounted on the filler pipe, the filtered oil is dumped back into the filler pipe which is also part of the crankcase breather. If for some reason the road draft tube is obstructed, or the piston rings have enough wear to allow excessive blow by you'll get oil coming out of the breather cap when the engine is run hard. You can use a later valve cover with a breather cap, just remove the two center screws and replace them with the proper length bolts and install the later covers and the oil blowing out of the pipe will stop or will be considerably less than before. Bud
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did misread the message, but the problem is still the same, I've seen oil mist around the road draft tube where it mounts to the valley cover or in a couple of cases the adaptor for the pcv valve. The valley cover has a baffle in it to keep oil from entering the road draft or pcv valve Something in the breather system is obstructed or the rings and cylinder walls are worn allowing excessive blow by causing excess pressure in the crankcase. Be sure that the breather cap is in good condition too. Bud

Comment

had a the same type of problem with a couple of y-blocks.the y-blocks had a reuseable filter in the road draft assy. but the filter would fall apart after about 10 cleanings,so i would block off the tube and install a pcv valve. using factory parts or make my own.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

Working...
              X