Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another brake mystery.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another brake mystery.

    Well, after having the brakes on the '60 Lark mysteriously repair themselves, I went back to the '64 Daytona hardtop I'm working on. It had lost most of its brake pedal, and it really acted like one half of the dual master cylinder had lost its oomph.

    So I removed the old master cylinder, which appeared quite gunked-up, and installed the new one I'd bought. Exact replacement, too. Could not get the thing to bleed, after having bench-bled it. Found it had not one, but TWO of those little speed-nut type retainer clips for the push rod. Thinking that the thickness of those 2 clips might be keeping the primary cup blocking the compensating port, I removed both clips and reassembled the cylinder. Still would not bleed. And I could hear a clunk in one of the wheels. Adjusted both front brakes, no improvement. Adjusted right rear, no improvement. Went to adjust the left rear, and the adjuster sleeve fell into the bottom of the brake drum. What the ???

    Removed the left rear drum. Everything is like new, except the adjuster sleeve is in the bottom of the drum. Checked, and it IS a left-hand sleeve, and all the others were proper too. Self-adjuster pawl seems OK. Put the sleeve back on place, reinstalled the drum, and set it up. Plenty of pedal now, and nice and firm.

    So the mystery is: how did the adjuster sleeve get so loose it fell out? It's not the wrong handedness, so normal action of the adjuster would not back it off. I did these brakes about a year ago, and then took the car to local mechanical shop for a safety inspection. Maybe their mechanic got in there and somehow backed it off. Or maybe the adjuster sleeve got set in there with one of the end notches not properly seated on the web of the brake shoe? Or maybe there is something subtly wrong with the self adjuster mechanism, and it is catching the star wheel on the pull stroke, instead of the push stroke, and backing it off? If it is the latter, I should feel the brake pedal rapidly getting lower as I drive it. So drive it I will.

    I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if the brake pedal had rapidly gone low shortly after having it in the shop.

    I guess I will find out in due course.

    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

  • #2
    I have a 65 rear with self-adjusting brakes. Had same thing happen a couple years ago. I noticed a lower pedal and metallic noise on left side. Never figured out why. May have something to do with worn drums and/or emergency brake adjustment. Hasn't done it since.

    Comment


    • #3
      if you found a lot of crud in the m/c i would flush out the entire brake system or better yet replace all the lines with stainless lines new wheel cyl. basicly rebuildthe brake system never take short cuts or get cheap with brakes its a matter of life and death.the only thing better than go is a car that can wooo.... when you need it. but i still have a bad habit of pumping brakes on my truck these new system don't like pumping.maybe i'll get it soon.

      2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, I drove the Daytona today, and it ran fine, and stopped fine. Good high pedal. We'll see if the high pedal slowly goes away, or if anything else crops up.

        I swapped batteries with the '60 Lark I brought home yesterday, simply because that gives me a battery that fits the hold-down. So that's all buttoned up nicely. After cleaning the battery tray in the '60 Lark, I found the metal thin and perforated with some small holes due to acid from a leaking battery. So I neutralized the acid, and washed the area clean, then gave it a coat of POR-15. Then I cut some sheets of fiberglass mat, and glommed it down with more POR-15. Looks good right now. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

        Then I finished the day by tearing the heads off a stuck 259 from a '61 2-door lark I parted out. Looks like #7 is the stuck cylinder. I've got it soaking with PB Blaster.

        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

        Comment

        Working...
        X