Problem gas, not spark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem gas, not spark.

I've concluded man problem was the AFB carb in my R-2. Tore the carb down, blew out everything again, made sure primary and secondary venturi were clear, replaced venturi gaskets, and of course discovered a few mistakes. Lever from auto choke spring to choke valve was backwards, making it run too rich and foul plugs with gas. Also, carb to manifold gasket was on backwards, restricting motion of secondary throttle valve.

Now the car runs much better, and I took it for an 85 mph drive, and did not worry about it fouling out or vaporing locking. Have also concluded from compression tests that engine needs rings and has one bad valve. Values were not as bad as numbers show 105-105-85-105 on 2-4-6-8 and 105 on all of 1-3-5-7. However, that was a cold compression test, should be better on a hot test. Does not smoke that much at 85 mph, has pretty good power, HOWEVER..........

Do not seem to be getting any gas through secondary venturi when engine at full open throttle. Suppose this might give better mileage and inhibit putting the pedal to the metal, but it still bothers me.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jack in Montana

sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Even partially open secondaries with no fuel flow would equal a pretty lean mixture, and that's not healthy for any vehicle particularly a supercharged one. Forget "better mileage" and drive slow until you get the fuel flow straightened out.

MikeV
    Pompano Beach, FL
    83 Avanti 377I

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeValent

Even partially open secondaries with no fuel flow would equal a pretty lean mixture, and that's not healthy for any vehicle particularly a supercharged one. Forget "better mileage" and drive slow until you get the fuel flow straightened out.

MikeV
      Pompano Beach, FL
      83 Avanti 377I
      Thanks, Mike. I suppose you mean I should take the carb off, take the lid off, (for the 37th time) and clean out the secondary venturi circuit.
      sigpic
      Jack, in Montana

Comment

Ya got bad rings and a burnt valve and you want the secondaries to open? Wind that baby up and see how many reciprocating parts you sweep up off the asphalt.

Comment

Working...
        X