Avanti steering wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti steering wheel removal

Due to turn signal cancellation issues, I need to remove my steering wheel.

According to the manual, the wheel center needs to be removed by turning it 1/3 counter clockwise. But it doesn't budge. And I'm reluctant to get medieval on it.

Any suggestions?

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

If it won't budge, I'd wrap some painters tape around it and find yourself a hose clamp that will compress around it -then use the tightening screw portion for leverage or as something to get medieval with instead of the button itself.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Mine is stuck, too. Does it make sense/ is there any way to shoot some lubricant in there to loosen it?

Comment

I have removed a lot of wheel centers but never one on an avanti. My technique usually is to disconnect the battery (so you don't wake up or startle the whole country side with the horn). Then depress the center and rotate it counter clockwise. When you turn it sufficiently, the spring should pop it right up as you release the pressure. Avanti centers may be different, but this usually works for me.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Put the palm of your hand on the cover, then the other hand over it. Push in hard, while rotating the cover counter clockwise, under pressure. Should come right off, unless a PO misadjusted the hold down screws. Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

A band type oil filter removal tool works well.
            Richard
            The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I'm going to revisit the issue tonight. Both the hose clamp and the oil filter wrench sound promising!!!

Thanks for the great ideas.

For those without Avanti experience, the horn isn't activated from depressing the center. And it won't push in. There are horn bars inserted in two of the wheel spokes.

========================
              Martinez, CA

Comment

That's right - it doesn't push in. There are two short "ears", on the back of the center emblem that engage two other ears on a pressed steel piece held to the steering wheel by two screws with a spring stand-offs. If you have an Avanti parts book, you can see better what I'm trying to describe. It shouldn't take brute force to turn and remove at all, unless some kluge tightnened the screws down too far. Russ Farris
                1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I've found over the years that when I've removed steering wheels, there is often signs of trapped moisture and evidence of light rust.

My Avanti button was difficult to remove as well, but the hose clamp method eventually did the trick

In retrospect, I kinda wish I hadn't sold my button on Ebay as I think it might fit my Grant wheel with just a few minor mods

Ohh well, guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out for another....

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

The hose clamp trick worked great!!

But, I replaced the cam, as the old one didn't cancel. And now, I get constant left turn indication. Is it possible that the arm positioned the directional signal switch to that position> Or is something now wrong with the switch itself?

I didn't remove it, as the cancellation cam just is held in by a bolt to the arm.

========================
                    Martinez, CA

Comment

After replacement of the entire turn signal switch, all is well.

And removal/installation of the wheel center is best performed in order of ease of use by:

1. the oil filter wrench
                      2. the hose clamp method

The oil filter wrench that I have is lined with a cushion that also prevents marring the edge of the wheel center piece.

========================
                      Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
                      X