crankshaft bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankshaft bolt

Well.. i've had the crankshaft bold off earlier this year on my flathead 6. I"m trying to add a pulley to the front for a/c. I can't semm to get it off this time. I read the posts about putting window sash cord in the piston chamber to keep the pistons from moving so you can get leverage on the bolt to loosen it. With the flathead engine, the sparkplug hole is offset and the cord will not go in. Is there another way to get keep the engine from turning so the bolt can be removed?
    Thanks.
    Bob

Wedge a lever or pry bar between the flywheel teeth and the bell housing

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

What Bob said, or if you are by yourself try an impact wrench. Or put it in gear with the parking brake on and 'jerk' it loose

Jon Krimm
      1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Don't go stickin stuff in the spark plug hole. That only stops the piston near top dead center. The angle of the rod journal is at a disadvantage to the rotation of the crank; putting severe pressure on the cylinder wall, piston skirt, wrist pin, and bearing. Worse on an OHV, it's a great way to bend a valve.

Comment

Impact wrench!
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

What Bob said and use your BEAR hands.
            Dean.

Comment

Place 6 point socket and breakover on bolt.brace free end of breakover on something solid(frame,floor,ect)may have to use pipe extension on handle of breakover.Take all slack out of tool by turning engine by hand on fan.remove coil wire,to insure it does not start.bump starter.

Comment

Working...
              X