need some stude help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some stude help

hey guys im working on a 59 silver hawk with a 61 model 289. i am having a few problems i wanted to get you guys opinions on. the first and most important problem has to do with oil pressure. it has good strong oil pressure while cold but once it heats up the oil pressure drop drastically. at one point it was 5psi @ idle and 30 at 4000rpms. this while it was at 180degrees water temp. also, i am having a sever deiseling problem. once when i turned the key off the thing just kept deiseling along. not running smooth true deiseling. i tried to wait it out but finally i just turned it back on then off and it stopped. also, i dont think there is a gasket not leaking on this thing. so. school me on the stude 289 fellas

Simple machines require simple repairs and maintenance.
    Get a service manual and read up on servicing the oil pressure relief valve.
    It is an annual maintenance item that is sorely overlooked in the Stude V8 engine world.
    If the piston gets gunk stuck to it and it sticks, then the oil pressure scenario you describe can happen.
    Your service manual will cover the proper procedure.
    Your 'run on' problem sounds like a basic tune up issue.
    Tune ups are also covered in the service manual...
    But... Always do the tune up in this order...
    1) Set the point gap (using a dwell meter)
    *set the dwell to the 'high' number... As gap increases, dwell decreases... If you have put cam lube on the distributor cam, your points should wear faster than the rubbing block wears, so the dwell will last longer when set to the 'high side' (smaller gap).
    2) Set the timing (per the service manual)
    Changing the dwell changes the timing, so change the dwell first.
    Once the dwell and the timing are set, then adjust the carb idle mixture screws so the idle vacuum reading
    (you are using a vacuum guage, aren't you?) is the highest possible reading.
    3) adjust the idle speed.

This sequence of adjustments should always be used.
    Dwell/timing/idle

A generic answer, for sure.
    The service manual will help you hit the numbers spot on...
    You can get a lot fancier if you want, but the basic's work fine 97.289% of the time.
    HTIH
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by ScottMH

hey guys im working on a 59 silver hawk with a 61 model 289. i am having a few problems i wanted to get you guys opinions on. the first and most important problem has to do with oil pressure. it has good strong oil pressure while cold but once it heats up the oil pressure drop drastically. at one point it was 5psi @ idle and 30 at 4000rpms. this while it was at 180degrees water temp. also, i am having a sever deiseling problem. once when i turned the key off the thing just kept deiseling along. not running smooth true deiseling. i tried to wait it out but finally i just turned it back on then off and it stopped. also, i dont think there is a gasket not leaking on this thing. so. school me on the stude 289 fellas
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yeap. Sounds like it needs a good tune up and start searching for the source of the oil leaks. Make sure it is not the pan gasket, the distributor housing gasket, or valve cover gaskets (start with the cheap stuff first). If it is the front or rear seals, check your crank thrust. If it is excessive, it will take out the seals. Blowby will also do the same. These are pretty tough engines, but they do like to mark their territory. The issue with crank thrust also gives you kind of an idea as to the bearings etc. Sounds like it might at least need rod bearings. A lot depends if this is going to be a daily driver or more for shows. Others will correct me but this is a good start IMHO.

Comment

If after your tune up the 289 is still going compression ignition (dieseling). then perhaps there is a carbon buildup glowing. New spark plugs to start with. Also, your engine re-timing
        as above. The 289 has a moderately high compression ratio of 8.5 : 1. You may have to move up from crappy 87 octane with methanol to a higher anti-knock rating. Methanol likes to GLow Plug, been using it in my model airplane engines for decades.
        ...Dick
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

Change the oil and filter and replace it with 20-50. Sounds like that motor needs all the help it can get, just to keep from spinning the bearings. If that doesn't help it a lot, then find some thick oil additive like STP. (Saved That Packard)...Ya know, you can increase the oil pressure by removing the oil filter completely and plugging the lines.

Comment

Working...
          X