HELP Installing a new Speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Installing a new Speedo cable

I found my cable broke. Now I am replacing it and the new core cable is about 3 inches too long. How do I cut it cleanly and crimp the cable so it has a square end?

I have a cable cutter for like aircraft cable. I tried it on the old cable but it just doesn't cut it cleanly enough for me.javascript:insertsmilie('')
    Thanks In advance.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
    18 years in the tattooing biz
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

you could try a dremmel or similar rotary cutter then dress up the edges

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

Comment

The couple of times I did this, I got a core kit from napa. One end of the cable was already squared and there was a crimp-on cap or end with a square tip for the other. You cut the cable to length on the un-square end with a big wire cutters, slip the cap on and then stick it into a special little "crimper" tool that comes with the kit. That tool then goes into your bench vice to get squeezed to crimp the cap onto the cable. All the crimper tool is, is a flat pc of thick sheet metal with a slit and shaped notches for the crimp-on cap. Its like a 1 use crimper pliers w/o any handles. Your bench vice provides the force.

So, with this setup, you don't need to worry about getting the cut end perfect. You can't square it anyway with a file or something as it will unravel. The ends that are factory made are probably heated/welded somehow to prevent unraveling.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Go to a truck dealer's parts department and ask them if they have a speedo cable cutting and crimping tool.
        It's a hammer strike anvil thing.
        You mark your cable and set it in the 'cut' part and smack it with a big hammer.
        It will sever/cut the cable without unravelling it.
        If you have a crimp on end, you can use the same tool to crimp on the end.
        HTIH
        Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Great advise! I love this board. All of you are such great help. THANKS!
          I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
          sigpic
          I'll Tattoo you anytime!
          And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
          Crazy Lady Ink
          Shakopee Mn.
          952-445-3281
          27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Working...
          X