Leaf spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf spring rates

Where can I get the leaf spring rate info for 55 champion sedan? I have one very badly sagging spring and am thinking about having a new one made up by Tampa Spring in Ocala, fl.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Take it from a guy who has replaced lots of springs in his professional life and replace both sides. So you replace one spring and it will now have the proper spring rate but the other side won't. If one side is weak enough to be sagging the other side can't be far behind. You will be diappointed with the results replacing one side. Most old time spring companies should have the specs for your springs.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Tampa Spring will send them down to their shop near Busch Gardens in Tampa.
      Pretty good guys to deal with...
      I'd do both sides if you can...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Where can I get the leaf spring rate info for 55 champion sedan? I have one very badly sagging spring and am thinking about having a new one made up by Tampa Spring in Ocala, fl.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Its only spring down under !! He has a sag condition cause its "fall" up here.(almost anyway)

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Detroit/Eaton the OEM Mfg. will make new ones to the correct rate, you do not need to know what it is. You will need two. [^]

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Getting a price from Tampa Spring in Ocala. They make them right there. One question for you guys, the stock leafs were tapered in thickness -end to end, meaning that they are 1/4" in the middle and taper to about 1/8" thick to the ends. They can't taper the ones they would make up, meaning they would be the same thickness all the way end to end. I have a choice of slightly thicker than 1/4 steel and one that is slightly smaller than 1/4. Being as I don't know the compression rates of each, I am leaning toward the thinner size being as it is the same thickness all the way end to end.
            Your thoughts?
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

The spring company should be able to determine the spring rate of your existing spring by taking measurements and doing the calculations. A small change in the thickness makes a big difference in the spring rate. If your spring shop can't determine the spring rate and tell you what the spring rate of the spring they will supply go somewhere else. I think your best bet is Detroit/Eaton.

Just because someone can build a spring doesn't mean they know what they are doing. You should be able to get a spring from Detroit/Eaton that is made from better material than the original.

As previously stated you need to get two springs.

David L
              David L

Comment

Tampa Spring = 400.00 and I can drive down and pick them up on Monday. Also close enough that if I have an issue with height, I can have them take care of it quickly. I had them build a set for a 37 Hudson Terraplane last year.
                Detroit/Eaton = 479.00 plus shipping, around 50.00. 5 days lead time.
                Have a set of Chuck Collins Delron bushings coming.

64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I had a set made for my plymouth a few years ago by a local spring shop and was very satisfied with the result. They made a pretty drastic change by going from four leaves to three but the rate and ride height seemed about right and the improvement in handling was outstanding. 189.00 per spring, no shipping. Save your stude springs and get in touch with knife makers. They prize the stude springs for the type of steel in them.

Comment

Working...
                  X