No announcement yet.

gas vs spark vs valve problem-Avanti R-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That just proves what I have said for years! These old cars are fairly uncomplicated when compared to the computerized equipment we have these days. When problems arise they are usually what I call "Butt kick'n simple" ... meaning that usually you want to kick your own fanny for not recognizing the problem sooner! It is mainly having the patience and persistence to diagnose and correct the problem. Great that you did just that before doing more harm than good. It certainly explains all the lethargic performance you described.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Troubleshooting and testing are only as good as the mechanic preforming them. Big problem with squirting oil in the cylinders is that too much of it can raise the compression ratio enough to give a false high reading. And on an engine with banked cylinders, it doesn't seal the rings at their highest point. A low pressure leakdown test with the piston at tdc compression will tell you if the rings are too far gone to benefit from a valve job. But the answer isn't in the gauge or in the pressure drop; don't even use one. It's the ear. That is the most valuable tool in this instance. Open the carb, open the oil fill, listen at the exhaust, and you will learn everything there is to learn about your engine's compression losses. If you hear a lot of air coming out the oil fill, your rings are shot..That is step one and you need go no further. You could compare the volume of the hissing to the compression readings for each cylinder, but that's just for fun. Remember, I'm talking about LOW pressure; not enough to push the piston down. Try different settings with your regulator for the highest pressure suitable , starting on the cylinder with the highest compression reading.

Comment

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

[/quote]It looks like you have a 48 Champion Regal Deluxe. This is mine. Two photos here, one today, and one 30 years ago. Chipped or peeled paint is the result of priming from a spray can, or not sanding enough. John Deere Green, acrylic enamel, applied with a gun by amateurs. Home upholstery then too, using furniture material, done in trade for services. Lady has several kids who needed their tonsils out.[:0][:0][:0]

I didn't have many resources then, still don't have a compressor or a spray gun, but plan to get both. Then I can also do the low pressure leakdown test referred to below. I will eventually get around to repainting it, If I don't die first,maybe in the correct color, which has a little more black in it. I think it was Parkway Green, although the label has long since fallen off the bottom of the glove box. Actually, I replaced the glove box cardboard long ago. Anyway, the correct color is still on the engine compartment.

I would like to see a full picture of your Champion. I would send these photos by e-mail but the SDC forum has no method of sending attachments, I think.

Jack in Montana
        sigpic
        Jack, in Montana

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnfweber

It looks like you have a 48 Champion Regal Deluxe. I would like to see a full picture of your Champion. Jack in Montana
          [/quote]

Jack, looks like I need to get some decent photos of my 3 passenger coupe uploaded on my photobucket account. This is the best I have for the moment.
          John

[img][/img]

John Clary
          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
          X